[BCMA] Preparing for Extreme Weather and Wildfires

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Tue Mar 26 12:10:10 PDT 2024

Preparing for Extreme Weather and Wildfires

With the 2023 wildfire season being the worst in our province's history and
BC’s snowpack currently at only 66% of normal, it is prudent for
organizations to take steps to prepare for the year ahead. The BCMA
encourages members to review their emergency plans, the emergency
preparedness resources on the BCMA website, and the latest recommendations
from the Government of BC as we enter a potentially disruptive summer.

The Government of BC recently released an update
<https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2024EMCR0015-000376> stating they are
taking early steps to prepare for the upcoming drought and wildfire season.
They encourage individuals to consider taking the following steps to
increase their household preparedness, which can also be applied to
organizations:

   -

   creating an evacuation plan;
   -

   updating home insurance policies;
   -

   knowing where to find trusted emergency information;
   -

   staying informed about weather alerts;
   -

   creating an online profile if you’ll need support during an emergency at
   https://ess.gov.bc.ca/;
   -

   making your home more resistant to wildfire damage by taking action to
   create FireSmart property
   <https://firesmartbc.ca/resource/tips-to-firesmart-your-home/> and
   -

   building an emergency kit that includes essentials, such as water,
   non-perishable food, medication, and a first-aid kit.

The BCMA has compiled a resource collection
<https://museum.bc.ca/be-prepared-for-summer-weather-events/> to support
you in preparing your organization and to aid in ensuring the safety of
your staff, community, and site. Additional resources can be found on the BCMA
learning portal
<https://museum.bc.ca/tools-and-resources/Emergency-Preparedness/>.

Take the time now to familiarize yourself with the British Columbia
Heritage Emergency Response Network (BC HERN) <https://bchern.ca/> and its
resources. BC HERN is a growing network of BC’s arts and culture sector
institutions that believe that the best line of defense is emergency
preparedness, salvage training, and joining forces to support each other.

In 2022, the Canadian Conservation Institute (CCI) presented an online
workshop for the BCMA on developing an Emergency Response Plan for cultural
institutions. Participants learned about the emergency response objectives
and the key components that make up a suitable emergency response plan.
While the material from this workshop is constantly being updated and not
publicly available, BCMA members are strongly encouraged to reach out to
Irene Karsten at CCI <irene.karsten at pch.gc.ca> to request access to the
material package. If you have taken a BC HERN workshop, you will have heard
this mentioned there and received access.

If you would like to take the CCI workshop in real time, keep an eye on the CCI
training calendar
<https://www.canada.ca/en/conservation-institute/services/training-learning/training-learning-calendar.html>
for the next “Response Ready” online workshop starting in the fall of 2024
that will be open to institutions across Canada (details are slated to be
published by April 2).

Mutual support and collaboration are crucial to adapting to a changing
climate. In 2022, BC HERN, BCMA, and Heritage BC partnered to create a
contingency
fund <https://museum.bc.ca/bcma-emergency-response-fund/> that allows
skilled heritage emergency responders to mobilize and begin recovery and
salvage efforts for museums, galleries, and cultural organizations across
BC when emergencies strike. Each dollar donated helps organizations deal
with the worst and protect irreplaceable heritage from being lost forever.