[BCMA] Space limited! BCMA Regional Workshop: Candid Actionable Reconciliation Education (CARE)

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Fri Mar 8 12:22:21 PST 2024

*BCMA Regional Workshop: Candid Actionable Reconciliation Education (CARE)*

*April 4, 2024, 9:30 am - 2:30 pm *
*Nanaimo Art Gallery*

Well-intentioned actions can cause harm, and museums’ attempts to act in
supporting truth and reconciliation are overwhelming many Indigenous
communities. Settlers and non-Indigenous organizations must take steps to
redress centuries of injustice without relying on Indigenous communities
and knowledge holders to be the sole drivers of change.

The BCMA has provided CARE Resources online, including a Relationship
Building Workbook. While organizations may be rushing to create
relationships that will help move reconciliation work forward, they must
take the time to learn, question, and reflect on their own practices and
histories, instead of expecting Indigenous communities to reflect for them.
The goal of the workbook and associated resources is to avoid the
inequality in labor, both physical and emotional that stems from these
interactions.

Join Leia and Lorenda for this regional workshop to unpack the Relationship
Building Workbook, self-reflect, and lay a foundation for better
relationships with Indigenous communities and partners.

Registration fee: $50.00

Notes:

   - Please bring your own lunch. To maximize the amount of time we have
   together, our lunch break will be short.
   - Coffee, tea, and light snacks will be available in the morning.
   - Registrants will be provided with a printed copy of the workbook.

Register now! <https://museum.bc.ca/event-list/?eid=138&instid=442>

[image: BCMA Regional Workshops.png]

--

Lorenda Calvert
Program Manager

Pronouns: she/her. To learn why pronouns are important, click here
<https://equity.ubc.ca/resources/gender-diversity/pronouns/>

<https://www.google.com/maps/search/675+Belleville+Street+%7C%7C+Victoria,+BC+%7C%7C+V8W+9W2+%0D%0A+%0D%0A+Office:+250?entry=gmail&source=g>
<https://www.google.com/maps/search/675+Belleville+Street+%7C%7C+Victoria,+BC+%7C%7C+V8W+9W2+%0D%0A+%0D%0A+Office:+250?entry=gmail&source=g>

museum.bc.ca <http://www.museum.bc.ca/>

We are trialing a 4-day work week, please note that I will not be in the
office on Mondays.