[BCMA] Healthy Aging Visual Art Prize

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Thu Jul 11 13:31:21 PDT 2024

Hello,

I am the research director of the Edwin S.H. Leong Centre for Healthy Aging at the University of British Columbia. We are hosting a Healthy Aging themed visual art prize competition. Our goal is to bring together researchers, trainees, artists, older adults, and other members of the public through a visual art contest and exhibitions that will feature inclusive, diverse, authentic and anti-ageist representations of human aging. It is open to anyone from within British Columbia and people can win cash prizes. The deadline for submissions is Sept 30th and more information is below and attached, as well as on our website<https://healthyaging.med.ubc.ca/art-contest>. I am wondering if you could share this information through any means available to you and as you feel appropriate, as we are hoping to get broad and diverse participation from across the province?

Thanks so much
Kim

[cid:image002.jpg at 01DAD396.76A37570]

We are excited to announce the launch of the Healthy Aging Visual Art Prize, a collaboration between the Edwin S.H. Leong Centre for Healthy Aging (ELCHA) and the Djavad Mowafaghian Centre for Brain Health (DMCBH) at UBC. This contest invites you to submit your artistic representations of “Healthy Human Aging.”

Our concept of “healthy aging” aligns with the World Health Organization’s definition: the process of developing and maintaining the functional ability that enables well-being in older age. We welcome diverse and inclusive artworks that reflect this theme.

Eligibility: There are two categories of submission:

  *   Public Category: Open to anyone residing in British Columbia who is not affiliated with ELCHA or DMCBH.
  *   Centre-Affiliated Category: Open to UBC investigators, staff, or trainees (undergraduate, graduate students, or postdoctoral fellows) affiliated with ELCHA or DMCBH.

Prizes:

  *   Public Category:
     *   Best Entry: $1000.00
     *   Second Place: $500.00
     *   Third Place: $250.00
  *   Centre-Affiliated Category:
     *   Top Investigator Entry: $500.00 towards lab research or knowledge exchange activities
     *   Top Trainee Entry: $500.00

The deadline for submissions is September 30th, 2024. All submissions will be featured in an online gallery, with up to 16 finalists invited to display their work at an Artists Night at DMCBH in January 2025. Selected finalists will also be showcased at the Jericho Arts Centre in Vancouver, BC in January and February 2025.

For more details and to submit your entry, please see the attached Call for Submissions or the Healthy Aging Visual Art Prize page<https://healthyaging.med.ubc.ca/art-contest> on our website. We encourage you to share this email with anyone who might be interested in participating.

Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have any questions. We look forward to seeing your creative interpretations of healthy aging!

Best regards,
Edwin S.H. Leong Centre for Healthy Aging
117 – 2194 Health Sciences Mall
The University of British Columbia
healthyaging.med.ubc.ca