[BCMA] Job Posting Curator - Museum at Campbell River

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Thu Jan 4 14:21:52 PST 2024

Located on the unceded traditional territory of the Liǧʷiɫdax̌ʷ First Nations the Museum at Campbell River is an award-winning, regional history museum sharing the stories of the peoples of Northern Vancouver Island.

With a mission “to collect, preserve and interpret the human history of our area”,  we view the Museum as a community gathering space.  A place that we can come together to share, connect, explore and learn the diverse history of our region.

Museum galleries feature vibrant and contemporary exhibits of First Nations cultures and historic coastal lifestyles, where visitors gain a deeper understanding of the region’s rich history. The experiential and interactive displays were developed over a period of years and through extensive consultation with community advisors.

The Museum operations also include the management of the Haig-Brown Heritage House which was the former home of well-known author and conservationist Roderick Haig-Brown.  This former B.C. Provincial Heritage site is located on the banks of the Campbell River and includes a significant collection of objects relating to the site.

We are looking for a Curator to join our team and are seeking an individual who brings a wealth of expertise and an interest in developing meaningful relationships with the community that we serve. The ideal candidate will hold a graduate degree in an applicable field or equivalent experience.

Reporting to the Executive Director the Curator is responsible for the following functions:  research, interpret, collect, preserve and make available belongings and artifacts documenting the human history of the Northern Vancouver Island area.   The Curator works with staff in various departments to follow best practices and make informed decisions regarding acquisitions, care and handling, storage and access to the holdings and conducts research to interpret and disseminate knowledge about the collections through exhibits, publications and programs.

Please refer to the attached Job Posting for more details about the role and qualifications that we are looking for in an ideal Curator.

To apply:

Please drop off or e-mail your application which should include a CV or resume and letter of interest to:
Attention:  Sandra Parrish
e-mail: executive.assistant at crmuseum.ca<mailto:executive.assistant at crmuseum.ca>
Museum at Campbell River
470 Island Hwy, Campbell River, B.C, V9W 4Z9

Application deadline:  by 11:59 pm on January 31, 2024

The Museum at Campbell River is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and encourages applications from all qualified candidates.  We thank all who express interest in this position, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.

Sandra Parrish, Executive Director
Museum at Campbell River
P.O. Box 70, stn A.
Campbell River, B.C.
V9W 4Z9
phone:  250-287-3103       fax 250-286-0109
website:  www.crmuseum.ca<http://www.crmuseum.ca/>
[black wordmark cropped]

The Museum at Campbell River respectfully acknowledges the Liǧʷiɫdax̌ʷ First Nation, the We Wai Kai, Wei Wai Kum and Kwiakah, on whose unceded  traditional lands we work to preserve, interpret and share the collective human history of North Vancouver Island.

Our closest neighbors are the Coast Salish Xwemalhkwu, Klahoose and K’ómoks First Nations. These nations have close connections to the land where Campbell River is located today.