[BCMA] YCW Job Opportunity: Collections Assistant

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Mon Feb 26 10:16:32 PST 2024

Position: Collections Assistant with the Maritime Museum of BC
Term: May 6 to September 1, 2024
Salary: $19.00/hr
Number of Positions: 1 (dependent on funding)
Work Days and Hours: Sundays to Thursdays, 9:00 AM to 4:30 PM
Location:

  *   4000 Seymour Place, Victoria BC (MMBC off-site storage facility) for four days a week
  *   744 Douglas St, Victoria BC (MMBC public exhibit facility) for one day a week

A BIT ABOUT US

The Maritime Museum of BC’s (MMBC) mission is to engage communities in witnessing and preserving maritime heritages. It opened in 1955 as a naval museum located on Signal Hill just outside the gates of the HMC Dockyard in Esquimalt. The MMBC has recently relocated to a new public storefront on lək̓ʷəŋən land at 744 Douglas Street. This space houses the museum's exhibits, public programming, onsite research and administration. Most of our collections are now stored off-site but are still accessible through our research request program. The Maritime Museum of BC also runs the annual Victoria Classic Boat Festival during Labour Day weekend.

THE CHALLENGE

The MMBC is embarking on the second part of an extensive project with our maps and charts collection. We need a Collections Assistant to help with these efforts. The Collections Assistant will focus on re-housing the maps and charts, as well as describing them in a catalogue according to industry standards. The Collections Assistant will also work to connect the collection with the public by assisting with developing Maritime Minutes videos on our YouTube channel and preparing for our behind-the-scenes collections tours.

THE OPPORTUNITY

We are looking for someone who has strong attention to detail and has experience with data entry. This position can help put someone on the first steps towards a rewarding career in museum collections management.

THE TEAM

Our team at the MMBC is tight-knit, flexible, and excited about the work we do. We work closely with an amazing and supportive group of committed volunteers. We all come from different backgrounds, which we believe is part of our strength!

THE SKILL SET YOU BRING

  *   Strong attention to detail
  *   Ability to undertake detailed tasks and follow direction
  *   Ability to work closely as a team
  *   Ability to work independently when required
  *   Working knowledge of computers and Microsoft Word, Outlook, and Excel
  *   Basic knowledge of Canadian and BC history considered an asset
WITHIN 1 WEEK YOU'LL

  *   Receive a review of all relevant MMBC protocols and safety measures, including the Health and Safety Policy.
  *   Be introduced to the MMBC’s storage facility.
  *   Gain understanding of the MMBC’s IT systems.
  *   Gain hands-on experience with re-housing maps and charts
  *   Receive an introduction to cataloguing archival materials
WITHIN 1 MONTH YOU'LL

  *   Receive training on how to handle museum objects
  *   Be introduced to the MMBC’s public initiatives as they relate to our collection, specifically the Maritime Minute videos and the behind-the-scenes collection tours
  *   Receive training on the MMBC’s object database and filing systems
  *   Confidently re-house maps and charts in professional museum storage supplies
  *   Have practiced cataloguing maps and charts according to archival standards
WITHIN 3 MONTHS YOU'LL

  *   Continue re-housing maps and charts according to professional standards.
  *   Understand how to apply archival standards to cataloguing maps and charts
  *   Confidently handle a range of museum objects
  *   Understand how museum utilize their collections to engage with the public
Eligibility:
This is a Young Canada Works funded position. Candidates must meet the following criteria:

  *   Are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, or have refugee status in Canada; Note: Non-Canadian student holding temporary work visas or awaiting permanent status are not eligible.
  *   Are legally entitled to work in Canada (have a valid social insurance number);
  *   Will be between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of employment;
  *   Meet the specific eligibility criteria of the program to which you apply; and
  *   Be registered as a high school, college, CEGEP, or university student;

Candidates who identify with the Government of Canada’s job equity groups (i.e. youth with a disability, Aboriginal youth, visible minorities and new Canadians) are encouraged to apply. We value those with lived experience and/or experience with DEAI (Diversity, Equity, Accessibility, and Inclusion) work.
Please apply with a cover letter, resume, and three references in a single PDF to the HR Committee by email at hfeeney at mmbc.bc.ca<mailto:hfeeney at mmbc.bc.ca>.

Applications are due by 4:00 PM on April 5, 2024.

We would like to thank all applications for their interest in this position. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.

--

Brittany V. Vis, MLIS (she, her)
Executive Director

The Maritime Museum of BC is on the territories of the Lək̓ʷəŋən Peoples, specifically the Songhees and Xwsepsum (Esquimalt) Nations, who have respected these lands and waters for thousands of years.

[cid:image001.png at 01DA689C.DADA56E0]