[BCMA] YCW Job Opportunity: Programming Assistant

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Mon Feb 26 10:15:33 PST 2024

Position: Programming Assistant with the Maritime Museum of BC
Term: May 8 to September 1, 2024
Schedule: Wednesdays to Sundays, 9:45 am to 5:15 pm (some evening work will be required)
Salary: $19.00/hr
Number of Positions: 1 (dependent on funding)

A BIT ABOUT US
The Maritime Museum of BC’s (MMBC) mission is to engage communities in witnessing and preserving maritime heritages. It opened in 1955 as a naval museum located on Signal Hill just outside the gates of the HMC Dockyard in Esquimalt. The MMBC has recently relocated to a new public storefront on lək̓ʷəŋən land at 744 Douglas Street. This space houses the museum's exhibits, public programming, onsite research and administration. Most of our collections are now stored off-site but are still accessible through our research request program. The Maritime Museum of BC also runs the annual Victoria Classic Boat Festival over Labour Day weekend.

THE CHALLENGE
As MMBC offers a rich variety of programming to our communities, we need a Programming Assistant to support these programs and think of new ways to engage with the public. We know that our strength lies in our interactions with people, and we want to continue finding the best ways to improve upon that strength.

THE OPPORTUNITY
We are looking for someone who has experience working with people of all ages and is passionate about meaningful museum learning. This position can help encourage the candidate to consider a career in heritage and can put someone on the path towards a rewarding career in museum programming and visitor engagement.

THE TEAM
Our team at the MMBC is tight-knit, flexible, and excited about the work we do. We work closely with an amazing and supportive group of committed volunteers. All of us come from different backgrounds, which we believe is part of our strength! We are looking for someone who knows how to manage their time effectively and can easily prioritize the tasks in front of them.

YOUR SKILLSET

  *   Skilled and enthusiastic communicator
  *   Ability to undertake detailed tasks and follow direction
  *   Ability to work closely as a team
  *   Ability to work independently when required
  *   Ability to supervise and direct program participants of all ages
  *   Basic understanding of program representation
  *   Basic knowledge of Canadian and BC history
WITHIN 1 WEEK YOU'LL

  *   Receive an introduction to museum operations and begin working at the Visitor Centre front desk.
  *   Visit and familiarize yourself with the MMBC’s current exhibits.
  *   Explore the theory and practice behind museum learning.
  *   Learn about the MMBC’s current public programs including Museum Tots, craft workshops, and plans for new Salty Sunday activities.
  *   Be introduced to Maritime Minutes.
  *   Prepare to confidently engage with visitors in the museum exhibits to enhance their visit.
WITHIN 1 MONTH YOU'LL

  *   Confidently deliver the MMBC’s current public programs (Museum Tots, craft workshops, and Salt Sundays) and begin research for a Maritime Minutes video.
  *   Regularly engage with visitors in the museum exhibits to enhance their visit.
  *   Become familiar with museum social media accounts, and create original posts according to MMBC’s established tone, vision, and mission.
  *   Think of ways to evaluate current programming for updates and revisions.
  *   Comfortably monitor the Visitor Centre front desk while also leaving time for the tasks listed above.
WITHIN 3 MONTHS YOU'LL

  *   Have gained and honed skills pertinent to museum program delivery, including but not limited to:
     *   Establishing an engaging presentation style.
     *   Being capable of assessing audience needs and adapting appropriately.
     *   Hardware and software troubleshooting for video recording
  *   Reflect on programs delivered throughout the summer to report on areas for improvement and changes.
  *   Complete social media postings, including planning for the months in advance to ensure sustainability of engagement.
  *   Continue engaging with the public on a regular basis to enhance their visit to the museum.
  *   Have recorded a Maritime Minute video and be confident with simple video editing tasks.
Eligibility:
This is a Young Canada Works funded position. Candidates must meet the following criteria:

  *   Are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, or have refugee status in Canada; Note: Non-Canadian student holding temporary work visas or awaiting permanent status are not eligible.
  *   Are legally entitled to work in Canada (have a valid social insurance number);
  *   Will be between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of employment;
  *   Meet the specific eligibility criteria of the program to which you apply; and
  *   Be registered as a high school, college, CEGEP, or university student;

Candidates who identify with the Government of Canada’s job equity groups (i.e. youth with a disability, Aboriginal youth, visible minorities and new Canadians) are encouraged to apply. We value those with lived experience and/or experience with DEAI (Diversity, Equity, Accessibility, and Inclusion) work.

Please apply with a cover letter, resume, and three references in a single PDF to the HR Committee by email at lrobin at mmbc.bc.ca<mailto:lrobin at mmbc.bc.ca>.

Applications are due by 4:00 PM on April 5, 2024.

We would like to thank all applications for their interest in this position. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.

--

Brittany V. Vis, MLIS (she, her)
Executive Director

The Maritime Museum of BC is on the territories of the Lək̓ʷəŋən Peoples, specifically the Songhees and Xwsepsum (Esquimalt) Nations, who have respected these lands and waters for thousands of years.

[cid:image001.png at 01DA689C.B8D3B500]