[BCMA] The Exploration Place - Executive Director

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Tue Apr 23 09:44:47 PDT 2024

Please excuse cross-posting.

The board at the Exploration Place is pleased to announce we are accepting
applications for an incredible leadership opportunity at The Exploration
Place.

*Executive DirectorThe Exploration PlaceAnticipated Start Date: June
2024Terms of Employment: Full-Time, PermanentSalary Range: $100,000 -
$115,000*

*About Us:*
The Exploration Place is a muti-disciplinary science centre and museum,
situated on the
traditional territory of the Lheidli T’enneh First Nation in Prince George,
B.C. Our mission is to
provide a local lens on our evolving world by fostering discovery and
engagement. With a
commitment to providing engaging exhibits, educational programs, and
community events,
we strive to be a vibrant and trusted centre where diverse perspectives and
traditions are
celebrated. The Exploration Place also features live exhibits, a gift shop,
and café & teaching
kitchen.

*Position Overview:*
We are seeking a progressive and innovative Executive Director to lead the
Exploration Place
into its next phase of growth and impact!
Reporting directly to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director will
play a pivotal role in
advancing our mission, fostering community engagement, and ensuring the
long-term
financial sustainability of The Exploration Place. The Executive Director
is responsible for
fostering a dynamic and supportive environment while providing strategic
leadership to a
dedicated team and overseeing the day-to-day operations of the organization.

*Key Responsibilities:*
● Serve as a passionate advocate for The Exploration Place, representing
our institution
at local, regional, provincial and national forums to promote our mission
and priorities.
● Develop and implement strategic plans in collaboration with the Board to
drive
organizational growth and impact.
● Lead fundraising efforts, including grant writing, donor stewardship, and
organizing
special events to ensure financial stability and growth.
● Oversee budget development, financial planning, and effective resource
allocation to
maintain transparency, accountability, and sustainability.
● Provide oversight and direction for all programs and initiatives,
ensuring they are
effectively designed, implemented, and evaluated to meet the needs of our
diverse
community.
● Cultivate and maintain strong partnerships with donors, volunteers,
community
organizations, and Indigenous groups to enhance our outreach and impact.
● Collaborate closely with the Board to ensure transparent governance,
effective
decision-making, and alignment with our strategic objectives.
● Foster a positive and inclusive work culture and provide leadership,
support, and
mentorship to our dedicated staff members.
● Manage all aspects of human resources, including recruitment, training,
performance
management, and succession planning.
● Ensure compliance with all relevant legal and regulatory requirements, as
well as
effective risk management practices to safeguard our organization.

*Skills and Qualifications:*
● Bachelor’s degree in science or the arts, with a focus on anthropology,
First Nations
studies, archeology, history, chemistry, biology, or another relevant field.
● A minimum of 10+ years of progressive leadership experience in the
nonprofit sector,
with a proven track record of success in fundraising, financial management,
and
strategic planning.
● Experience in a museum or science centre environment is highly desirable
with a
strong understanding of industry best practices and trends.
● Demonstrated knowledge and sensitivity to Indigenous issues, along with
experience
in building meaningful relationships with Indigenous communities and
organizations.
● Strong financial and business acumen and experience managing budgets.
● Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to
inspire and
engage diverse community partners.
● Strong team leadership and management skills with the ability to address
and resolve
conflicts with sound judgment.
● Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to create
and deliver
reports, policies, and Board documents utilizing various software
applications.
● A genuine passion for our mission and a commitment to promoting science,
history,
and culture within our community.
● Equivalent education and experience may be considered.

*How to Apply:*
Please submit a cover letter and resume outlining your qualifications and
relevant experience
to board at theexplorationplace.com. Applications will be reviewed as of May
6th, but applications will be accepted until the position is filled.

Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Proof of
certifications and the
satisfactory completion of reference and criminal record checks required
prior to
employment. The successful applicant, barring medical or other exceptions,
must be fully
vaccinated against COVID-19 and willing to abide by all COVID-19
regulations per existing
policy at the Exploration Place.

The Exploration Place is an equal opportunity employer. We do not
discriminate against
ability, ethnicity, gender identity, socioeconomic background, or sexual
orientation. We
strongly encourage applications from individuals from under-represented
communities and
diverse backgrounds, identities, and experiences.