[BCMA] FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: The Bats are flying into Rossland - New Travelling Exhibit at the Rossland Museum

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Fri Oct 13 12:33:30 PDT 2023

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

The Bats are flying into Rossland - New Travelling Exhibit

 at the Rossland Museum

ROSSLAND, BC – The Rossland Museum & Discovery Centre (RMDC) is thrilled to
announce the arrival of a captivating travelling exhibition, BATS: Out of
the Darkness, courtesy of Kelowna Museums.

As part of a commitment to delivering dynamic and immersive exhibit
experiences to the community of Rossland, the Rossland Museum is proud to
host BATS: Out of the Darkness (BATS) from October to December 2023. Developed
by the talented team at Kelowna Museums, BATS shines a spotlight on the
diverse bat species found in British Columbia while underscoring their
crucial role in maintaining ecological balance. The exhibit provides an
opportunity to celebrate these remarkable creatures and inspire stewardship
in the province.

BAT-tastic for All Ages

BATS is a family-friendly exhibit that delves into the fascinating world of
bat ecology, biology, habitat needs, Indigenous perspectives, conservation
challenges, personal stories, and intriguing fun facts. The exhibit
incorporates engaging audio, video presentations, and even real bat
specimens, inviting the public to explore and discover the enchanting
universe of bats. BATS will be accessible through regular museum admissions
and will also offer guided educational experiences for classes, making it
an exciting addition to the RMDC’s diverse offerings, showcasing British
Columbia’s stunning natural world.

Sara Wright, RMDC Collections Manager, expressed her enthusiasm for the
exhibit, saying “We’ve been searching for the perfect exhibit to revitalize
our travelling exhibit program. We were immediately captivated by BATS.
Rossland is such a nature-driven community, it was a no-brainer to bring
this amazing exhibit here to share with our community. I’m looking forward
to seeing people interact with the exhibit and connect with how amazing
bats are! I can’t wait to see people go batty for bats!”

The exhibit will be on display in the J.D. McDonald Hall at the Rossland
Museum from October 12, 2023 until January 5, 2024. To kick off this
exciting exhibit, an opening event filled with bat-tastic trivia will take
place on October 19th at 7 pm.

BATS at the Rossland Museum is made possible through the generous support
of the Government of Canada and the Le Roi Community Foundation.

For more information about BATS, please visit: BATS: Out of the Darkness -
Kelowna Museums
<https://www.kelownamuseums.ca/exhibits/bats-out-of-the-darkness/>

Media Contact:

Sara Wright, Collections Manager (she/her)

Rossland Museum & Discovery Centre

PO Box 26, 1100 Hwy 3B, Rossland, BC

Phone: (250) 362-7722

Email: Sara.Wright at rosslandmuseum.ca

Website: www.rosslandmuseum.ca

About the Rossland Museum & Discovery Centre

The Rossland Museum & Discovery Centre (operated by the Rossland Historical
Museum & Archives Association) aims to preserve and dynamically present the
history and culture of Rossland and area. We are the visitor gateway to the
Kootenays and the Columbia Basin, and we inspire and engage the public
through virtual and real-life displays that bring our history and culture
to life. The Museum is open year-round and welcomes visitors of all ages.

The Rossland Museum & Discovery Centre acknowledges that we live and work
on unceded Sinixt tmxʷúlaʔxʷ (homeland).

About the Kelowna Museums

The Kelowna Museums consists of the Okanagan Heritage Centre, Okanagan
Military Museum, and Laurel Packinghouse. Together the three organizations
tell the dynamic history of the development of Kelowna and the Okanagan
Valley as well as the sylix peoples.

Kelowna Museums gratefully operates on the unceded traditional territory of
the syilx/Okanagan people