[BCMA] Uncovering the art, life and legacy of Alvin Elif Constant "Wandering Spirit"

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Mon Nov 6 11:48:43 PST 2023

*FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE*

*Penticton Art Gallery is seeking the public’s help in uncovering the art,
life and legacy of the late Cree Artist, Alvin Elif Constant "Wandering
Spirit" (1946-2006)*

*Penticton, [November 1, 2023*] — The Penticton Art Gallery extends a warm
and heartfelt invitation to the public to join us in our mission to uncover
and document the art and stories surrounding the life of the late Cree
Artist, Alvin Elif Constant, lovingly known as "Wandering Spirit"
(1946-2006). This collaborative effort is in support of our upcoming
exhibition, aptly named "In Search of Wandering Spirit," scheduled to open
at the Penticton Art Gallery on Saturday, November 18, 2023, and grace our
gallery walls until Saturday, January 27, 2024.

This exhibition signifies the initial chapter of a broader initiative
dedicated to the documentation, preservation, and celebration of not only
the legacy of "Wandering Spirit" but also an entire generation of
Indigenous Artists whose remarkable contributions have, until now, remained
hidden in the recesses of our recorded art history. Your active involvement
in this meaningful endeavor serves to illuminate these underappreciated
artists and their profound impact on the cultural and artistic landscape.

*Alvin Elif Constant* was born February 18, 1946,* in James Smith Cree
Nation located 58 kilometers east of Prince Albert, Saskatchewan* Nation
where he was the sixth of nine children born to Guy and Myrtle Constant. He
was a residential school survivor having first attended the Gordon’s Indian
Residential School before moving to the James Smith Indian Day School where
he claimed he did “grade 13”.

In his teenage years, Alvin left his close-knit community behind, driven by
his unwavering dream of becoming a renowned artist. However, the urban
landscape brought forth unforeseen challenges, including the daunting tasks
of securing employment, finding stable housing, and gaining support for his
artistic pursuits. Ultimately, Alvin found himself without a home, seeking
shelter under bridges and in homeless shelters. Yet, in the face of such
dire circumstances, he clung steadfastly to his art, utilizing whatever
materials he could scrounge together, from cardboard to paper bags and even
newspapers, to breathe life into his paintings.

In the early 1970s, Alvin's life took a new turn as he enrolled in the
Saskatchewan Indian Cultural College in Saskatoon. It was here immersed in
this nurturing environment, where Alvin unearthed the rich culture and
traditions of his people. The stories shared by the elders were filled with
courage, wisdom, tradition and humor and these narratives resonated deeply
within him, fostering a newfound sense of belonging and unwavering
dedication. Alvin's life mission henceforth became preserving and promoting
his culture through storytelling and art, using his voice and imagination
to inspire others.

During his travels across Western Canada, Alvin would often set up his
paintings on the sidewalks of the various cities he visited, aiming to
catch the attention of passersby. On occasion, he managed to sell a piece
or two for modest sums, promptly reinvesting the proceeds in art supplies
and sustenance. It was during this challenging period that Alvin found a
sense of camaraderie among fellow homeless artists who shared his passion
and vision. Together, they forged a tight-knit community of street artists,
offering one another mutual support, companionship, and the exchange of
creative ideas and techniques.

Alvin's art functioned as a profound vehicle for the articulation of his
emotions, struggles, and aspirations. Tragically, Alvin's life was
overshadowed by a prolonged battle with addiction and mental health
challenges, and it was through his art that he sought to depict not only
the beauty but also the anguish of existence on the margins of society. His
artistic creations were a poignant mirror, not only reflecting his pain and
despair but also showcasing his unwavering hope and resilience.

Through his creative expressions, Alvin embarked on a relentless mission to
inspire people to transcend superficial judgments and stereotypes,
harboring a profound ambition to trigger a paradigm shift in how
individuals perceived and connected with one another. His art possessed the
profound ability to challenge preconceived notions and foster a deeper,
more empathetic understanding among people, leaving a lasting impact on the
way society viewed and treated its marginalized members.

Known widely by his Cree name "Wandering Spirit," Alvin in the 1990’s and
2000’s Alvin would become a prominent and familiar figure on the streets of
Victoria and Vancouver where he would sell his art to tourists. He held a
profound passion for books and learning, often frequenting local bookstores
to engage in conversations with tourists, staff, and customers. Alvin
generously shared his knowledge and stories, and he approached each
exchange with an open heart, always receptive to different perspectives.
Alvin's friendly and curious nature enriched the lives of many tourists who
had the privilege of crossing his path. When he did manage to sell one of
his paintings, he was well known for selflessly sharing the proceeds
amongst his homeless friends.

Tragically on November 24, 2006, Alvin "Wandering Spirit" Constant was
discovered frozen to death on the streets of Calgary, just a stone's throw
away from the Mustard Seed Shelter. His passing reverberated across Canada,
casting a spotlight on the plight of homelessness and serving as a stark
reminder of the struggles faced by those on the margins of society. On
December 5, 2006, Alvin was laid to rest in the James Smith Reserve, his
final resting place.

Alvin's story serves as a powerful and poignant symbol of the countless
lives tragically cut short, providing yet another stark reminder of the
profound tragedy deeply embedded in our colonial history.

Throughout our history, many Indigenous artists held a sense of caution
when it came to traditional commercial galleries where artists would
consign their work, and this wariness was entirely justified. Instead,
these artists often chose to sell their creations directly to various
Indigenous "craft" and "tourist shops" in exchange for immediate cash.
However, this approach had a couple of significant drawbacks. Firstly, it
often resulted in scant or nonexistent records documenting the life stories
of these artists. Secondly, purchasers typically fail to recognize the
object they were acquiring as "fine" art.

Unfortunately, a significant body of work created by Indigenous Artists has
been unduly connected to the circumstances of its acquisition, which has
had the regrettable effect of erecting a substantial barrier to its
inclusion in prominent exhibitions and the permanent collections of our
nation’s art museums. This, in turn, has resulted in an inadequate
acknowledgment and representation of the artistic and cultural significance
of these Indigenous Artists within the broader cultural landscape.

Our hope is that this exhibition will serve as a catalyst, inspiring art
historians and museums to proactively address this void in our collective
art history. They can do so by acknowledging, researching, documenting, and
preserving the stories and artistic legacies that have, for the most part,
remained concealed and underappreciated beyond the boundaries of their
immediate communities, friends and family and all those who have had the
foresight and privileged of owning a piece of their work. Our aim is to
foster a deeper understanding of these artists and their invaluable
contributions, ultimately dispelling the obscurity that has overshadowed
their substantial impact on our nation’s art history.

We are committed to embarking on this important journey by delving deep
into the life, art, and enduring legacy of Alvin Elif Constant,
affectionately known as "Wandering Spirit" (1946-2006). To accomplish this,
we extend a heartfelt invitation to the broader community, urging you to
share your stories and any artworks you may have collected from Alvin
throughout the years. Your contributions will play a pivotal role in our
forthcoming comprehensive exhibition at the Penticton Art Gallery, as well
as our ongoing mission to meticulously document his life and lasting impact.

If you have artworks that you'd be willing to lend for this or any
potential exhibitions in the future, or if you're willing to share photos,
cherished stories, or memories, we wholeheartedly invite you to reach out
to us here at the gallery. Your active participation is pivotal, as it will
assist us not only in accurately conveying his story but, even more
significantly, in preserving Alvin's extraordinary legacy for the
enrichment of future generations. Your contribution plays a vital role in
ensuring that the legacy of Alvin endures and continues to inspire and
educate future generations.

We are also looking to tour this exhibition to other communities and we
would love to talk with anyone who might be interested in exploring this
opportunity, We deeply appreciate your time and consideration, and your
involvement is of immeasurable importance in our mission to celebrate and
commemorate the life and artistic contributions of this exceptional
individual.

Please direct all inquiries to:

*Paul F. Crawford*
(He, Him & His) | Director/Curator

✆250.493.2928 ✉ c <George at tworiversgallery.ca>urator at pentictonartgallery.com

Penticton Art Gallery, 199 Marina Way, Penticton, B.C., V2A 1H5

Gratefully located on the unceded territory of the syilx (Okanagan) Peoples.