[BCMA] Pay transparency laws in B.C.

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Wed Nov 1 09:58:35 PDT 2023

Pay transparency laws in B.C.

The new Pay Transparency Act
<https://www.bclaws.gov.bc.ca/civix/document/id/bills/billscurrent/4th42nd:gov13-1>,
which passed on May 11, 2023, places new requirements on employers to
address systemic discrimination in the workplace. Please see the discussion
paper
<https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/british-columbians-our-governments/services-policies-for-government/gender-equity/bc-pay-transparency-discussion-paper.pdf>
for
background information on pay transparency and the gender pay gap.
Why this is needed

All people deserve to be paid fairly and our communities are stronger when
everyone is treated equally. However, too many women in B.C. are still
making less than men. Last year, women in B.C. earned 17% less than
men. The pay gap also disproportionately impacts Indigenous women, women of
colour, and immigrant women, as well as women with disabilities and
non-binary people.

For information on why B.C. has introduced pay transparency see Gender
Equity Office <https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/gender-equity>.
Pay history and pay secrecy

Effective immediately, employers in B.C. can no longer ask job applicants
about what they have been paid at positions with other employers. Employers
may still:

   - Use the pay history information they already have about that employee
   to determine the pay for a new position
   - Rely on publicly accessible information on the pay for similar
   positions

Also effective immediately, employers in B.C. cannot dismiss, suspend,
demote, discipline or harass an employee who:

   - Asks their employer about their pay
   - Reveals their pay to another employee or someone applying to work with
   their employer
   - Asks the employer about its pay transparency report
   - Gives information to the Director of Pay Transparency about their
   employer

Job postings

Beginning November 1, 2023, all employers in B.C. must include the expected
pay or the expected pay range for a specific job opportunity that they
advertise publicly.

For additional guidance see wage or salary information on job postings
<https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/gender-equity/wage-or-salary-information-on-job-postings>
.

--

Lorenda Calvert
Program Manager

Pronouns: she/her. To learn why pronouns are important, click here
<https://equity.ubc.ca/resources/gender-diversity/pronouns/>

<https://www.google.com/maps/search/675+Belleville+Street+%7C%7C+Victoria,+BC+%7C%7C+V8W+9W2+%0D%0A+%0D%0A+Office:+250?entry=gmail&source=g>

museum.bc.ca <http://www.museum.bc.ca/>