[BCMA] Speaker Series at the Museum of Surrey - Beyond Visibility

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Tue May 30 10:23:50 PDT 2023

Beyond Visibility
Join Alex DeForge, QMUNITY Manager of Programs & Services, as we discuss visibility within the community, especially during Pride Month. Visibility for 2SLGBTQIA+ people can have incredibly positive and important impacts for individuals and communities. However, visibility has its limitations; it is not the end-goal but rather a means to achieving a more just and equitable life for 2SLGBTQIA+ people.
[cid:image002.jpg at 01D992E0.D2B1AF50]When: Wednesday, June 14, 2023 - 12:00-1:00pm
Where: Online via Microsoft Teams
Cost: Free
How to Register: Call or email the Museum of Surrey: 604-592-6956 | museum at surrey.ca<mailto:museum at surrey.ca>
Format: Presentation followed by a discussion.
About Alex Deforge
Alex DeForge, MA (they/them) is an activist, researcher, and educator on stolen land in Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-Waututh territory. Alex works at QMUNITY as the Manager of Programs and Services. They manage a fantastic team of service providers that support 2SLGBTQIA+ people at all stages of life. Alex has a background in research and they are passionate about involving the community at all levels of program planning, implementation and evaluation. Their work pushes QMUNITY, partner organizations, and other institutions to think about programs and services through an intersectional lens.
About QMUNITY
"QMUNITY is a non-profit organization based in Vancouver, BC that works to improve queer, trans, and Two-Spirit lives. We provide a safer space for LGBTQ2SAI+ people and their allies to fully self-express while feeling welcome and included. Our building serves as a catalyst for community initiatives and collective strength."
Direct quote from the Qmunity website: https://qmunity.ca/about/