[BCMA] LMCG: Free Virtual Presentation - Building Community Relationships - July 12, 3:00-4:30 PM

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Tue Jun 13 13:24:41 PDT 2023

[cid:image003.jpg at 01D99DF9.3E73E320]

The Lower Mainland Curators Group is proud to present our next meeting on Wednesday, July 12 from 3:00-4:30 pm. Join us virtually via Zoom for presentations that explore the ongoing process of building community relationships. The presentations will be followed by a Q&A session.

All are welcome to attend this free session. RSVP to lowermainlandcurators at gmail.com<mailto:lowermainlandcurators at gmail.com> to receive a link to the meeting.

Special thanks to Shanna Cheng for supporting this meeting with live captioning.

About the Presentations

WORKING WITH ARTISTS WITH DISABILITIES
Shanna Cheng, Emerging Curator of Il Museo and Gallery and Marginalized Artists and Artists with Disabilities
Shanna Cheng will be sharing her experiences curating the two exhibitions as a BIPOC, artist with disabilities, in the emerging BIPOC exhibition, “Inscapes: Our Landscapes Within” and artists with disabilities exhibition, “Amplified Voices”. How can we approach marginalized artists through the disability lens in traditional spaces while also prioritizing comfort?

BUILDING RELATIONSHIPS WITH THE SYILX COMMUNITY
Alana Firedancer, Indigenous Programming Assistant, Kelowna Museums
Alana will talk about her experience building and maintaining relationships with the local Syilx community in a museum context. Throughout her talk, she will touch upon how to build these Indigenous relationships in a non-extractive, mutually beneficial, and culturally aware manner. This talk will provide some direction for respectfully creating Indigenous community connections.

COLLABORATING WITH THE 2SLGBTQ+ COMMUNITY
Derek A. Jang, Manager of Interpretive Delivery, Britannia Mine Museum
Join Britannia Mine Museum’s Derek A. Jang to learn about Old Town, New Queens, a ‘groundbreaking’ event that has become the first-ever pride event for the community of Britannia Beach. Learn how the museum collaborated with local 2SLGBTQ+ organizations and recruited local performers to transform a 100-year-old copper concentrator into a space for a different kind of ‘underground’ performance.

About The Lower Mainland Curators Group

The Lower Mainland Curators Group (LMCG) was created in January 2019 for anyone with an interest in curatorial work, ideas, or themes in British Columbia.

The group is coordinated by a team of volunteer organizing members from museums around Metro Vancouver to discuss topics or themes related to curatorial work. It is for anyone with an interest in our sector including students, museum workers, and those in professions facing similar issues.

We present quarterly virtual and in-person sessions to discuss newly launched projects, share challenges and successes, and discuss lessons learned.

Michelle Taylor MMSt (she/her) | Curator
Douglas J. Husband Discovery Centre | City of Delta
4450 Clarence Taylor Crescent | Delta | V4K 3W3
T: 604-952-3837 | C: 604-404-4829 | E: MTaylor at delta.ca<mailto:MTaylor at delta.ca>