[BCMA] Adding accession numbers to archaeological items held in a repository

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Thu Dec 14 14:58:09 PST 2023

Hi Holly,

If the objects are not yours, it is not recommended to be assigning your
numbers to them using a permanent method. It is advisable, however, assign
numbers to them as you would loan items, and keep paperwork to go with them
that includes where they are from, any information the Nation has about
them, and full condition reports and photographs for each object
(especially important if you are safekeeping these items for others so you
can keep track of any degradation of the objects and address that with the
Nation if it does occur) - it sounds like you're doing this :).

>From your description of the objects, I would consider getting/making
archival boxes with dividers (for example, for the stone tools) and
labelling the boxes with a chart that has the number put on the objects
from the excavations, and then your own assigned numbers for your record
keeping. If you can attach a small, archival tag on a string to the object,
that can also work, but may not work for all objects depending on their
shape and composition. What CRM software are you using? I know in
PastPerfect's user guide they give a good example of how to number incoming
loan objects and record them in the system. I would consider this approach
as an option.

I hope this helps. Best of luck!

Maureen