[BCMA] Adding accession numbers to archaeological items held in a repository

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Thu Dec 14 09:44:37 PST 2023

Hi Holly,

We also serve as an archaeological repository here in Maple Ridge, and my
advice would probably be to not add the museum’s accession numbers. Have
you asked Haisla Nation which option they prefer? In our case, we were
advised by Katzie First Nation to not add any further numbers to their
objects.

In any case, if you really want the accession number associated with the
objects, you can always make object labels to store with the objects. We
store our objects individually in small plastic bags with an object label
printed out on acid free cardstock with the provincial catalogue number and
other relevant info. That way we avoid any unnecessary markings on the
objects themselves.

Feel free to reach out if you’d like further assistance, happy to help if I
can 😊

Melissa
--
*Melissa Rollit*
*Museum Curator*
curator at mapleridgemuseum.org
office: 604-463-5311

The Maple Ridge Museum & Community Archives respectfully acknowledges that
we have the privilege to work, learn, and play on the traditional unceded
territories of the Katzie and Kwantlen First Nations.