[BCMA] Adding accession numbers to archaeological items held in a repository

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Wed Dec 13 21:03:20 PST 2023

Dear all esp Holly
I'm a conservator , a Brit married to a Canuck,currently in  theUK, so
cannot come and see or do anything now .
paper labels adhered are not safe, paper burns, gets eaten falls off  and
turns to papier mache in a flood , rips - try tyvek
It might be more of a hassle but can you use Paraloid b72 or 67 chemically
it is a methyl methacrylate copolymer , your most important neighbours to
the south call it Acryloid , made by Rohm and Haas available from
conservation supplies

If you have to make it put in a mesh, with colour doesnt come out or
dissolve in IMS(alcohol) acetone (or you could toluene ) I'd do in acetone
and suspend the 'beans' in the solution .

It should be ok with any artefact  , that does not need conservation , any
queries  Holly or others may have , ask away
Paul Harrison BSc  archaeology conservation MSc historic  metallurgy  FIIC
(other queries my sphere too  can be asked)