[BCMA] Cataloguing Assistant: YCW Job Opportunity

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Tue Mar 8 12:56:09 PST 2022

MARITIME MUSEUM OF BC

POSITION: CATALOGUING ASSISTANT

Term: May 9 to September 4, 2022

Salary: $16.00/hr

Number of Positions: 1 (dependent on funding)

Location: 4000 Seymour Place, Victoria BC (MMBC off-site storage facility)

A BIT ABOUT US

The Maritime Museum of BC opened in 1955 as a naval museum located on Signal Hill just outside the gates of the HMC Dockyard in Esquimalt. The Museum has since relocated to a new public storefront location at 744 Douglas St., where we have our exhibits, public research space, and a gift shop. The majority of our collections are now stored off-site but are still accessible through our research request program.

Our mission is to promote and preserve our maritime experience and heritage and to engage people with this ongoing story. The museum presents afternoon talks and weekend craft workshops that look at maritime history in unique and creative ways.  Also offered are educational programs on topics such as immigration, pirates and privateers, women on the home front, and the fur trade.

THE CHALLENGE

The MMBC is embarking on an extensive cataloguing project of the object collection. We need a Cataloguing Assistant to help with these efforts. The Cataloguing Assistant will focus on cataloguing ship models in our collection. We know the heart of the museum is the collection and as such we want to continue improving our efforts to increase our collections management systems by increasing the number of objects thoroughly catalogued.

THE OPPORTUNITY

We are looking for someone who has strong attention to detail and has experience with data entry. This position can help put someone on the first steps towards a rewarding career in museum collections management.

THE TEAM

Our team at the MMBC is tight-knit, flexible, and excited about the work we do. We work closely with an amazing and supportive group of committed volunteers. We all come from different backgrounds, which we believe is part of our strength!

THE SKILL SET

*	Strong attention to detail
*	Ability to undertake detailed tasks and follow direction
*	Ability to work closely as a team
*	Ability to work independently when required
*	Working knowledge of computers and Microsoft Word, Outlook, and Excel
*	Basic knowledge of Canadian and BC history

WITHIN 1 WEEK YOU'LL

*	Receive a review of all relevant MMBC protocols and safety measures, including the COVID Safety Plans.
*	Be introduced to the MMBC’s storage facility and public location.
*	Gain understanding of the MMBC’s IT systems and collections database.
*	Gain hands-on experience with museum cataloguing.
*	Become familiar with the MMBC’s collection photography and condition reporting protocols.

WITHIN 1 MONTH YOU'LL

*	Confidently catalogue museum objects according to professional standards.

WITHIN 3 MONTHS YOU'LL

*	Continue cataloguing museum objects according to professional standards.
*	Have gained and honed knowledge on cataloguing theory and practice and how this relates to an overall collection’s management plan.

Eligibility:

This is a Young Canada Works funded position. Candidates must meet the following criteria:

*	Are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, or have refugee status in Canada; Note: Non-Canadian student holding temporary work visas or awaiting permanent status are not eligible.
*	Are legally entitled to work in Canada;
*	Will be between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of employment;
*	Are willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment;
*	Will not have another full-time job (over 30 hours a week) while employed with YCW;
*	Have been a full-time student (as defined by your educational institution) in the semester preceding the YCW job;
*	Intend to return to full-time studies in the semester following the YCW job.

Candidates who identify with the Government of Canada’s job equity groups (i.e. youth with a disability, Aboriginal youth, visible minorities and new Canadians) are encouraged to apply.

Please apply with a cover letter, resume, and three references in a single PDF to the HR Committee by email at info at mmbc.bc.ca.

Applications are due by 4:00 PM on April 8, 2022.

We would like to thank all applications for their interest in this position. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.

--

Brittany V. Vis, MLIS (she, her)

Executive Director

250-385-4222 ext. 106

 <http://mmbc.bc.ca/> Maritime Museum of British Columbia

The Maritime Museum of BC is on the territories of the lək̓ʷəŋən speaking peoples, specifically the Songhees and Esquimalt Nations, who have respected these lands and waters for thousands of years.