[BCMA] NEWS RELEASE: Caetani Recapitulation Series Sponsorship Campaign Gains Momentum

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Tue Mar 8 12:34:32 PST 2022

Hello, Please see the following release from the Caetani Centre in Vernon,
BC. Please reach out if you need any more information.

Sincerely,

Kristin Froneman
Communication and Programs Coordinator
Caetani Centre Society
3401 Pleasant Valley Road
Vernon, British Columbia V1T 4L4
Phone: (250) 275-1525
Email: programs at caetani.org

*I respectfully acknowledge that my workplace is within the ancestral,
traditional, and unceded territory of the Syilx Nation.*

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

March 8, 2022

Caetani Recapitulation Series Sponsorship Campaign Gains MomentumThe
Caetani Centre is raising seed money to expand its gallery to exhibit the
entire Recapitulation watercolour painting series created by late Vernon
artist Sveva Caetani.

VERNON— Support continues to pour in to expand the home for Sveva Caetani's
Recapitulation painting series.

The Bringing Sveva Home Recapitulation sponsorship campaign has so far seen
more than 20 works of the 47 large scale watercolour paintings sponsored by
local businesses, groups, and individuals.

Funds raised from the sponsorship campaign are going towards plans to
expand the Caetani Centre's current gallery from 800 square feet to
approximately 2,000 square feet.

The expansion is needed so that the entire Recapitulation series of 47
paintings can be permanently displayed. The expanded gallery will also
include a more extensive archival storage and presentation space, said
Caetani Centre executive director Susan Brandoli.

"We want to thank our corporate sponsors, Silver Star Mountain Resort,
Bannister GM, and MQN Architects, as well as the many individuals, book
clubs and other groups who have supported our Recapitulation sponsorship
campaign so far. Thanks to them, we are moving closer toward our goal of
raising $65,000+ in seed money, which will serve as the base for matching
grants to expand the gallery," said Brandoli.

The sponsorship package includes a five-year patronage, tax receipt, and
formal recognition via a permanent plaque on the gallery building,
acknowledgement on the artwork label, the Caetani website, and social media
channels.

This past year, the Caetani Centre exhibited the first 17 paintings in the
series as part of its guided and self-guided tours, which attracted
interest from near and far since the museum in Caetani’s former home
officially opened its doors to the public last summer.

"More than 900 people have visited the centre, with many wanting to learn
more about Sveva's incredible story of loss, isolation, and emergence as a
teacher and prolific artist," said Brandoli, citing that the story has
received both national and international attention, particularly from the
Caetanis' birthplace of Italy.

Several paintings from the show were sponsored soon after tours ended in
December.

"We have plans to restart our tours in mid-April, and we will be exchanging
the smaller paintings in our series for the larger ones, some of which are
multi-panelled and take up an entire wall of space," said Brandoli.

The works are also the subject of a significant research project.

Thanks to a Young Canada Works at Building Careers in Heritage grant, the
Caetani Centre has hired intern Jessica Payne, a BFA graduate from
Concordia University, to conduct extensive research on the entire series.
Payne has gone through many of Caetani's writings, archived at the Greater
Vernon Museum and Archives, and other outlets to better understand the
underlying themes and imagery shown in the paintings.

The public can see some of the paintings, hear the Caetani story, and see
the vast collection of artifacts and exquisite haute couture from the
Roaring 20s when the Caetani Centre resumes its guided and self-guided
tours later in the spring.

For more information, visit www.caetani.org or call the Caetani office at
250-275-1525.

About the Caetani Family and Sveva Caetani's Recapitulation Painting Series:

Duke of Sermoneta Leone Caetani, his partner Ofelia and his daughter Sveva
Caetani arrived in Vernon in 1921. They lived a life of wealth, privilege,
travel, and luxury throughout the Roaring Twenties until the economic crash
of 1929 decimated their fortunes.

Following the death of Leone in 1935, Ofelia and Sveva went into
self-imposed exile. During this time, mother and daughter rarely left the
house, and Sveva was not allowed to pursue her love of art.

It was not until her mother's death in 1960 that Sveva, now in her early
40s, started painting again. Her economic circumstances dictated that she
find work for the first time in her life. She took on teaching positions at
St. James Elementary and Charles Bloom Secondary.

Around this time, Sveva began work on her Recapitulation series, featuring
47 large-scale vibrant watercolour paintings, documenting her story and
journey through life.

In the mid-1980s, due to several mitigating circumstances, Sveva donated
the complete Recapitulation series to the Alberta Foundation for the Arts
(AFA). The works left the province of British Columbia for 35 years. The
AFA provided access to the collection through exhibition loans and an
online database.

Now, after more than 30 years since the first painting travelled to
Edmonton, Sveva's Recapitulation has returned home to Vernon permanently
and is now part of an extensive collection held by the Caetani Cultural
Centre Society and on display at Sveva's former home in Vernon, BC.

For more information, please contact:

Susan Brandoli, Executive Director,

250-309-6391

ed at caetani.org

Kristin Froneman, Communication and Program Coordinator,

250-275-1525

programs at caetani.org

Please link to photos or contact us for other artwork/photos:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/12n2JcI21robzMpTEOg7RK1qGM12yH7jF?usp=sharing
<https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/12n2JcI21robzMpTEOg7RK1qGM12yH7jF?usp=sharin>

Credit: Photos courtesy of the Caetani Centre

Captions:

1/ Vernon artist Sveva Caetani with paintings from her Recapitulations
series.

2/ Sveva Caetani’s Harbour with Sphinxes from the Recapitulation Series,
circa 1982.

3/ Sveva Caetani’s To Ganesha, The Good Companion from the Recapitulation
Series, circa 1987.