[BCMA] Programming Assistant: YCW Job Opportunity

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Tue Mar 8 12:57:26 PST 2022

MARITIME MUSEUM OF BC

POSITION: PROGRAMMING ASSISTANT

Term: May 10 to September 4, 2022

Salary: $16.00/hr

Number of Positions: 3 (dependent on funding)

A BIT ABOUT US

The Maritime Museum of BC opened in 1955 as a naval museum located on Signal Hill just outside the gates of the HMC Dockyard in Esquimalt. The Museum has recently relocated to a new public storefront on lək̓ʷəŋən land at 744 Douglas Street. This space houses the museum's exhibits, public programming and events, onsite research and administration. Most of our collections are now stored off-site but are still accessible through our research request program.

Our mission is to promote and preserve our diverse maritime experience and heritage and to engage people with this ongoing story. In addition to offering in-person and virtual exhibits, the museum presents virtual talks, live tours and craft workshops that look at maritime history in unique and creative ways.  Also offered are virtual and outreach educational programs for all ages on topics such as immigration, pirates and privateers, women on the home front, and the fur trade.

THE CHALLENGE

As MMBC offers a rich variety of programming to our communities, we need Programming Assistants to support these programs and think of new ways to engage. We know that our strength lies in our interactions with people, and we want to continue finding the best ways to improve upon that strength.

THE OPPORTUNITY

We are looking for someone who has experience working with people of all ages and is passionate about meaningful museum learning. This position can help encourage the candidate to consider a career in heritage and can put someone on the path towards a rewarding career in museum programming.

THE TEAM

Our team at the MMBC is tight-knit, flexible, and excited about the work we do. We work closely with an amazing and supportive group of committed volunteers. All of us come from different backgrounds, which we believe is part of our strength! We are looking for someone who knows how to manage their time effectively and can easily prioritize the tasks in front of them.

THE SKILL SET YOU BRING

*	Skilled and enthusiastic communicator
*	Ability to undertake detailed tasks and follow direction
*	Ability to work closely as a team
*	Ability to work independently when required
*	Ability to facilitate enjoyable experience while ensuring the safety of program participants of all ages
*	Curiosity and willingness to learn and try new things.
*	Basic understanding of program representation
*	Basic knowledge of Canadian and BC history

WITHIN 1 WEEK YOU'LL

*	Receive an introduction to museum operations and begin working at the Visitor Centre front desk.
*	Visit and familiarize yourself with the museum’s current exhibits.
*	Explore the theory and practice behind museum learning.
*	Learn the MMBC’s current tours – in person, virtual (Facebook Live Tours), and pre-recorded (Maritime Minutes).
*	Prepare to confidently engage with visitors in the museum exhibits to enhance their visit.

WITHIN 1 MONTH YOU'LL

*	Confidently deliver the MMBC’s current in person tours and begin research for a variety of Virtual Live Tours video topics.
*	Regularly engage with visitors in the museum exhibits to enhance their visit.
*	Research your topic of choice for your own in person walking tour.
*	Become familiar with museum social media accounts, and create original posts according to MMBC’s established tone, vision, and mission.
*	Think of ways to evaluate current programming for updates and revisions.
*	Comfortably monitor the Visitor Centre front desk while also leaving time for the tasks listed above.

WITHIN 3 MONTHS YOU'LL

*	Have gained and honed skills pertinent to museum program delivery, including but not limited to:

*	Establishing an engaging presentation style.
*	Being capable of assessing audience needs and adapting appropriately.
*	Hardware and software troubleshooting for virtual tour delivery and recording

*	Reflect on programs delivered throughout the summer to report on areas for improvement and changes.
*	Have finished research for and presentation of a walking tour.
*	Complete social media postings, including planning for the months in advance to ensure sustainability of engagement.
*	Continue engaging with the public on a regular basis to enhance their visit to the museum.
*	Have delivered virtual tours on a variety of subjects and be confident with simple video editing tasks.

Eligibility:

This is a Young Canada Works funded position. Candidates must meet the following criteria:

*	Are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, or have refugee status in Canada; Note: Non-Canadian student holding temporary work visas or awaiting permanent status are not eligible.
*	Are legally entitled to work in Canada;
*	Will be between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of employment;
*	Are willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment;
*	Will not have another full-time job (over 30 hours a week) while employed with YCW;
*	Have been a full-time student (as defined by your educational institution) in the semester preceding the YCW job;
*	Intend to return to full-time studies in the semester following the YCW job.

Candidates who identify with the Government of Canada’s job equity groups (i.e. youth with a disability, Aboriginal youth, visible minorities and new Canadians) are encouraged to apply.

Please apply with a cover letter, resume, and three references in a single PDF to the HR Committee by email at info at mmbc.bc.ca.

Applications are due at midnight on April 8, 2022.

We would like to thank all applications for their interest in this position. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.

--

Brittany V. Vis, MLIS (she, her)

Executive Director

250-385-4222 ext. 106

 <http://mmbc.bc.ca/> Maritime Museum of British Columbia

The Maritime Museum of BC is on the territories of the lək̓ʷəŋən speaking peoples, specifically the Songhees and Esquimalt Nations, who have respected these lands and waters for thousands of years.