[BCMA] Job Posting - Heritage Research Assistant

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Wed Jun 22 09:51:41 PDT 2022

Hi All,

Coquitlam Heritage is looking for a Heritage Research Assistant to join our team.

The Opportunity
Coquitlam Heritage has a unique opportunity for someone looking to contribute their research skills to address historic social injustices by conducting research that will enhance knowledge and expand the historical narrative of the Coquitlam community.
Are you a dynamic, tenacious and detail focused historian? Do you enjoy solving mysteries and complex puzzles? Do you have a background conducting genealogical, archival, and other types of community-based research?
This is a fantastic opportunity for a budding historian, archaeologist, or anthropologist or a person with extensive cultural knowledge to apply their skills and contribute to reconstruction of our community heritage. Reporting to the Heritage Manager of Collections and Intellectual Property this position will focus on developing and maintaining a multicultural community research project.
About Coquitlam Heritage
Coquitlam Heritage preserves, honours, and promotes the heritage of Coquitlam. We collect stories and objects that hold history and represent who has lived in Coquitlam and who chooses to live here today. We celebrate our community members' traditions, experiences, and festivities, while holding space to remember and honour their tragedies and challenges. This is done through our exhibits both at Mackin House, a 1910 heritage home which is our current operational base, and out in the community and through programmes, workshops, and community events. Our exhibits are displayed at Mackin House and in places within Coquitlam's community.
Originally, Coquitlam Heritage’s collections and activities reflected people of European descent. However, over the last several years, Coquitlam Heritage has significantly increased our reflection of Coquitlam's diversity in our events, exhibits, and board composition. In developing an Anti-Racist heritage organization, we are committed to celebrating the diverse voices in the Coquitlam community through our exhibits and events, tell cultural stories only with participation from members of that community, and fill the gaps in our historical records so that all members of our community are recognized and celebrated in our collections.
Duties and Responsibilities

  *   Identify, copy, scan, label and organize relevant documents and supporting material from public and private archives, government offices and university libraries
  *   Create and maintain bibliography
  *   Analyse documents
  *   Organization and processing of digital material
  *   Digitization of community archival material
  *   Development of reference library
  *   Conduct genealogical research, identify descendants, build community relationships
  *   Conduct oral histories
  *   Gather related materials from community members and digitize as needed
  *   Write reports summarizing findings
  *   Identify future research opportunities
  *   Undertake other research and administrative tasks as directed
General Requirements

  *   Proficient computer skills and sound understanding of Microsoft Office Suite
  *   Ability to work independently and as a part of a team
  *   Ability to focus and complete tasks in a timely manner
  *   Organized and can efficiently prioritize research paths
  *   Excellent written and verbal communication skills
  *   Ability to pass a criminal record check
Qualifications

  *   Strong comprehensive understanding of conducting genealogical research
  *   Strong understanding of historic research using primary resources
  *   Ability to forge and maintain community relationships
  *   Excellent analytical skills and experience conducting historical research
  *   Practical experience conducting community-based research projects
  *   Bachelor degree (or higher) in Anthropology, History, or another related field
  *   Passion for addressing social injustice through research and building community relationships
  *   Experience conducting oral histories is an asset
  *   Experience working with museum databases and knowledge of principals and practices associated with collections management is an asset
  *   An IPBOC individual with related lived experience will best be able to build suitable relationships and approach the information with appropriate cultural sensitivity
  *   Ability to speak, read and/or write in Punjabi, Hindi, Mandarin, Cantonese, Japanese or other related languages will be an asset

This position is suitable for those whose goal is a career in heritage, research, museums, or curation.

Coquitlam Heritage is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applicants from underrepresented groups, including new immigrant youth/refugees, Indigenous youth, youth with disabilities and visible minorities.

This is an 18 hour a week position that will run for 8 weeks, with a possible extension. Schedule to be determined upon hiring.

Compensation: $27.00/hr

Position starts July 2022

Please send your cover letter and resume in PDF outlining how you meet the requirements to:

Jasmine Moore

Heritage Manager, Collections

jmoore at coquitlamheritage.ca
Subject line: YourName_Heritage Researcher_Application

Coquitlam Heritage operates Mackin House and Fraser Mills Train Station on the unceded, traditional, ancestral lands of the Kwikwetlem First Nation. We preserve, honour, and promote the diverse history of Coquitlam through the collection, research, and display of museum objects in exhibitions.

Jenna Masuhara
Administrative Coordinator
Pronouns: they, them

Coquitlam Heritage at Mackin House
1116 Brunette Ave | Coquitlam BC | V3K 1G2
604-516-6151
www.coquitlamheritage.ca<http://www.coquitlamheritage.ca/>

We are located on the unceded, traditional territories of the Kwikwetlem First Nation.

I'm usually in the office on Monday to Thursday.