[BCMA] [MEDIA RELEASE] Families invited to take on art challenge this Family Day

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Thu Feb 17 13:52:24 PST 2022

For Immediate Release

Family members can take on art challenge together on Family Day

February 17, 2022 - Kelowna, BC: This year, the Kelowna Art Gallery has laid down a challenge for families to accept on Family Day.

Families of all ages and shapes and sizes are invited to step through the Gallery's doors for a full day of free exploration through the five exhibition spaces. This in-person event takes place on Monday, February 21, from 10 am to 4 pm.

"We have such a fascinating mix of exhibitions on right now," says Sumi Ali, Education Coordinator at the Gallery. "Many of them already have interactive components, and so we thought why not create nine challenges that will have families complete a task in all of our visual art spaces."

Families can enjoy seeing both historical and contemporary Inuit art in A Story in Three Parts: Ashevak, Pootoogook, Isuma; a glow-in-the-dark painting by Moozhan Ahmadzadegan that features a densely populated array of plants, animals, and people that tell a story; or a gallery of large striking screen prints by Briar Craig called README that also has a game in it that visitors can try their hand at. Beyond that, there are still two more exhibitions, plus the Art Lab to explore.

A monoprint making art activity has also been planned for the day, however as of the release, the spaces have already been filled.

"Did we mention we have a few special treats in store for families that complete the challenge?" laughs Ali. "We hope to see gallery-goers both young and old out on Monday."

The Gallery would like to acknowledge the Province of British Columbia for their financial support and for helping to make this BC Family Day event free for everyone.

The Kelowna Art Gallery is located at 1315 Water Street in downtown Kelowna. For more information, visit www.kelownaartgallery.com or call 250-762-2226.

         - 30 -

[Resources]

Webpage: https://kelownaartgallery.com/family-day/
Facebook Event: https://fb.me/e/2cpdQcMKH
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kelownaartgallery/

To arrange for an interview, or for additional high-res images please contact:

Joshua Desnoyers
Marketing and Events Coordinator

Kelowna Art Gallery
1315 Water Street, Kelowna, BC V1Y 9R3