[BCMA] Deaccessioning - Public Sale of Items - Museum of the Cariboo Chilcotin

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Mon Sep 6 08:07:02 PDT 2021

Good Afternoon,

At present, Museum of the Cariboo Chilcotin is in the process of
deaccessioning part of our collection. With that said, it has come to the
step in our deaccessioning process where we are looking to list some of our
deaccessioned items up for public sale.

My hope is to gather more information on how other museums and heritage
organizations may have handled this process. Did you inform original
donor's of their item being listed for public sale? What platform did you
use to sell the items (auction, Kijiji, garage sale style)? What, if any,
were the ramifications of the sale? Where did you find information on the
fair market value of items?
Any information or insight is helpful and much appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
*Pippa Reissner*
*Manager*
*mccoffice at telus.net <mccoffice at telus.net>*
*Museum of the Cariboo Chilcotin*
*1660B Broadway Ave S. Williams Lake, BC*
*V2G 2W4, **250.392.7404*
*www.cowboy-museum.com <http://www.cowboy-museum.com/>*

*Museum of the Cariboo Chilcotin is grateful to be located on the territory
of the St'exelcemc (Williams Lake First Nation) of the Secwépemc Nation.*
*Serving on the traditional territory of the Secwépemc, Tŝilhqot'in, and
Dakelh Nations.*