[BCMA] Two Weeks left to register for Museum of Surrey's June Speaker Series

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Tue May 21 12:06:11 PDT 2024

There's only two weeks left to sign up for this FREE virtual seminar with the founder of Surrey Pride Society. Let's discuss and talk about what it takes to safely host Pride events and keep our 2SLGBTQA+ community safe. Registration is required for this free program.

     *   Please note, any hate speech will not be tolerated and will get you removed from the Team's seminar.
     *   Everyone wanting to participate will be asked to register and brought manually from the waiting room.
     *   Please do not share this link with anyone who has not registered.
     *   Mics may be silenced for the safety of our presenter and participants.
More about this program is included below:
Speaker Series: Safe Hosting Practices for Pride Events
We are currently living through resistance to Pride events. Instead of celebrating loving all loves and peoples, we are seeing protests outside of Drag Queen Book Readings and adults misgendering children. Surrey Pride held their first event in June 1999 (a BBQ!) and have grown to help many other organizations in their pursuit for equality and recognition. They currently organize Pride events in Surrey every year. How do they do so safely when we are seeing resistance to 2SLGBTQA+ events across BC? What can we do to keep our events safer for the 2SLGBTQA+ community?
When: Wednesday, June 5th, 2024 - 12:00-1:00pm
Where: Online via Microsoft Teams
Cost: Free
How to Register: Register online: https://www.surrey.ca/parks-recreation/activities-registration<https://cityofsurrey.perfectmind.com/23615/Clients/BookMe4LandingPages/CoursesLandingPage?widgetId=b4059e75-9755-401f-a7b5-d7c75361420d&redirectedFromEmbededMode=False&courseId=b73779eb-0bdc-4cb6-9c51-e655a6165f16> (Course ID: 00370230)
OR Call/Email the Museum of Surrey: 604-592-6956 | museum at surrey.ca<mailto:museum at surrey.ca>

Martin Rooney

Martin Rooney is a founder of the Surrey Pride Society and an active member in the Surrey Community. In February of 1998, he and 3 others organized the first gay dance in Surrey to raise monies to fight the SD36 book ban. They followed up with the FIRST Surrey Pride BBQ, Festival and Dance held at Sullivan Hall in June 1999 with 300 people attending the dance. They went on to create a gay non-profit society known as Out in Surrey Rainbow Cultural Society (OISRCS) and host the first ever Gay Surrey Pride Day/Weekend at Surrey City Hall. Martin has continued his work, pivoting to virtual pride events during 2020 and 2021 and receiving the Queen's Platinum Jubilee award in January 2023.