[BCMA] Film Screening at the Sidney Museum

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Wed Jun 5 16:05:15 PDT 2024

Hello BCMA Colleagues,

The Sidney Museum is hosting a film screening of two W̱SÁNEĆ productions on
Monday June 17 at 10:00am. If you're in the area we hope you'll join us!

The Sidney Museum and W̱SÁNEĆ School Board to host film screening of two
W̱SÁNEĆ productions

Sidney, British Columbia, June 5, 2024 - The Sidney Museum & Archives and
the W̱SÁNEĆ School Board are hosting a film screening of two W̱SÁNEĆ
productions at the Museum on Monday, June 17 at 10:00am. The museum will be
showing an animated short, ṮEṮÁĆES, and the film ĆELÁṈEN TŦE ṮEṮÁĆES
followed by a discussion and questions with Elders.

ṮEṮÁĆES is a four-minute animated short of the W̱SÁNEĆ Origin story
produced by PENAC (David) Underwood.

ĆELÁṈEN TŦE ṮEṮÁĆES, which translates to “Birthright/heritage of/to/for our
relatives of the deep” showcases the W̱SÁNEĆ worldview and relationship
with their traditional territory. The film describes the displacement of
W̱SÁNEĆ peoples from ṮELEṮÁĆES and their subsequent efforts to reclaim and
fully restore this relationship today. The videos call upon settlers to aid
W̱SÁNEĆ in these efforts by engaging in reconcili-ACTION. It was directed
by SXEDTELISIYE (Renee Sampson) & Tye Swallow.

Showcased in the midst of the Museum’s ongoing featured exhibit, Our Living
Languages: First Peoples’ Voices in BC, the film draws upon traditional
knowledge and the SENĆOŦEN language to explain how the W̱SÁNEĆ belong to
the land and why colonial notions of land ownership do not apply to
W̱SÁNEĆ’s relationship with ṮELEṮÁĆES.

“These films represent an important learning opportunity for non-Indigenous
allies”, says Michael Goodchild, Executive Director of the Sidney Museum.
“We’re always looking for ways to engage in meaningful reconciliation with
First Nations communities, and to have the opportunity to host these
productions, produced to provide settlers with a clear path forward, is
humbling.”

For W̱SÁNEĆ communities, the films represent a unique opportunity for
skilled educators and knowledge-keepers to teach ṮELEṮÁĆES settlers about
their history, and how the legacy of colonialism continues to shape it
today.

These films have been created as a project by the W̱SÁNEĆ School Board, the
W̱SÁNEĆ Leadership Council, and the Southern Gulf Islands Community
Resource Centre with funding from the Real Estate Foundation of BC.

The Sidney Museum is located at 2423 Beacon Avenue, in the lower level of
the Old Post Office building. The Museum is open seven days a week from
10:00am-4:00pm. Entrance is by donation. Please visit the Museum’s website
for more details on the current and upcoming events and exhibitions.

Many thanks,
Charlotte
--
*Charlotte Clar* (she/her)
Outreach and Volunteer Coordinator

2423 Beacon Ave L-3
Sidney BC  V8L 1X5
250-655-6355
outreach at sidneymuseum.ca
sidneymuseum.ca
*We respectfully acknowledge the Sidney Museum & Archives has been shaped
by the colonial history of Canada, and is located in Sidney/SET,TINES on
the territory of the W̱SÁNEĆ People including the **BOḰEĆEN (Pauquachin),
SȾÁ,UTW̱ (Tsawout), MÁLEXEŁ (Malahat), W̱JOȽEȽP (Tsartlip) and W̱SÍḴEM
(Tseycum) First Nations.*
*We understand that territory acknowledgment is just one part of
Reconciliation, and the museum continues to work towards other ways that we
can participate in Reconciliation alongside Indigenous communities.*