[BCMA] 2024 Pride Exhibit at the Sidney Museum

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Wed Jun 5 13:56:07 PDT 2024

Hello BCMA Colleagues,

Please see our press release for the new Pride exhibit at the Sidney
Museum. If you're in the area, we hope you'll come check it out!

The Sidney Museum takes Pride in the Saanich Peninsula's Queer History

Sidney, British Columbia, June 5, 2024 - The Sidney Museum is excited to
present a new exhibit, Reading Between the Lines for Local Queer History.
With a focus on LGBT+ history in and around the Saanich Peninsula, it will
remain on display throughout June, Pride Month, after which it will become
a part of the permanent upstairs gallery.

The exhibit features information about local Queer history, AIDS on the
Saanich Peninsula, David Tuff's film Are We Going Backwards?, and items
from The Transgender Archives at the University of Victoria.

The Sidney Museum will also be participating in multiple Pride Events
happening in June, including the Sidney Pride Festival, June 15 from
11:00am-3:00pm and Pride Night at the Sidney Street Market, June 13 from
5:30pm-8:30pm.

The Sidney Museum booth will feature a pop-up version of its 2024 Pride
exhibit, plus interactive activities such as button making and blackout
poetry to engage with local Pride history. Visitors will be able to make a
free button inspired by the pride buttons on display at the Sidney Museum
or come up with designs or their own!  The blackout poetry activity will
allow visitors to take homophobic and problematic articles from The Review’s
archives and reclaim them through poetry.

“We are thankful for the opportunity to express the Sidney Museum’s
position as an ally to the LGBT+ community,” says Michael Goodchild,
Executive Director of the Sidney Museum. “Too often, Queer narratives  are
excluded from traditional museum spaces and public knowledge. This display
is an important part in our efforts to diversify Sidney Museum’s exhibits
and provide an inclusive space that represents all the people of the
Saanich Peninsula.”

The Sidney Museum is located at 2423 Beacon Avenue, in the lower level of
the Old Post Office building. The Museum is open seven days a week from
10:00am-4:00pm. Entrance is by donation. Please visit the Museum’s website
for more details on the current and upcoming exhibitions.

For more information contact:

Michael Goodchild

Executive Director, Sidney Museum

(250) 655-6355

director at sidneymuseum.ca

--
*Charlotte Clar* (she/her)
Outreach and Volunteer Coordinator

2423 Beacon Ave L-3
Sidney BC  V8L 1X5
250-655-6355
outreach at sidneymuseum.ca
sidneymuseum.ca
*We respectfully acknowledge the Sidney Museum & Archives has been shaped
by the colonial history of Canada, and is located in Sidney/SET,TINES on
the territory of the W̱SÁNEĆ People including the **BOḰEĆEN (Pauquachin),
SȾÁ,UTW̱ (Tsawout), MÁLEXEŁ (Malahat), W̱JOȽEȽP (Tsartlip) and W̱SÍḴEM
(Tseycum) First Nations.*
*We understand that territory acknowledgment is just one part of
Reconciliation, and the museum continues to work towards other ways that we
can participate in Reconciliation alongside Indigenous communities.*