[BCMA] Key Takeaways from Budget 2024 For Arts, Culture, and Heritage Organizations

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Fri Feb 23 15:10:24 PST 2024

On the whole, Budget 2024 <https://www.bcbudget.gov.bc.ca/2024/default.htm> is
another status quo year for BC’s arts, culture, and heritage sector. And
while the status quo for our sector is largely unsustainable, in the face
of a global shift towards government austerity, the news contained in the
new budget and accompanying service plans – while often disappointing – are
also not entirely bad. The BC Museums Association has reviewed the Budget
2024 announcements and has compiled a list of key takeaways for our
members. We hope to publish a follow-up after we have had more time to
review the budget documents, service plans, and to connect with our arts,
culture, and heritage partners.

When compared to our assessment of the 2023 budget
<https://museum.bc.ca/2023-british-columbia-budget-response/>, few, if any,
of the challenges facing our sector are addressed in Budget 2024. Last year