[BCMA] Michelle Richard is new Executive Director at Sooke Region Museum and Visitor Centre

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Thu Apr 11 18:11:56 PDT 2024

The Sooke Region Historical Society (SRHS) is very pleased to welcome Michelle Richard in her new role as Executive Director for the Sooke Region Museum and Visitor Centre. Michelle is replacing Lee Boyko, who retired in March following two stints as Executive Director for the museum in the 1990s and for the past 12 years.

Michelle brings an impressive background in non-profit and cultural administration, history and heritage and has worked within Canada and internationally, including 20 years in community arts and cultural resource management on the Lower Mainland. She has extensive experience in leadership, communications, strategic planning, community engagement, budgeting and fundraising, and working with staff and volunteers. She holds an honours bachelor’s degree in history and art history, and a diploma in cultural resource management. Michelle and her family have made their home in Sooke since 2021, where she has been an active volunteer and participant in community events.

The SHRS also welcomes two new members to the board. Sheila Needs and Nadine Smith were elected at the Annual General Meeting on March 9 . They join president Doni Eve, vice-president Laurie Szadkowski, treasurer Georgia Medwedrich, secretary Sheila Dobie and directors Rose Dumont (T’Sou-ke Nation rep), Rob Hill, Trevor Price, Neil Poirier, Laurie Wallace, Past President Ray Vowles and District of Sooke appointed liaison Dana Lajeunesse. Retiring directors Tony Bastone and Linda Gabriel were honored at the AGM.

“We are very grateful to Lee, Tony and Linda for their many years of dedicated service to the museum and society,” said Doni Eve, Sooke Region Historical Society president. “I'm thrilled to be working with Michelle and our new board as we gear up for our community celebrations of the 50 th anniversary of the Sooke Region Museum in 2027.”

“As someone who is deeply curious about history, heritage, and culture, I’m eager to be immersed in the stories of the place where I live, and excited to be joining the Sooke Region Museum and Visitor Centre,” Richard said.

[ http://www.sookeregionmuseum.ca/ | www.sookeregionmuseum.ca ]