[BCMA] Indigenous languages featured in interactive exhibition at the Sidney Museum

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Thu Apr 11 10:35:27 PDT 2024

*Indigenous languages featured in interactive exhibition at the Sidney
Museum*

Sidney, British Columbia, April 10, 2024 - How many of us in BC can say
“hello” in the language of the people on whose traditional territory we
live, work and play?

You might find yourself expanding your vocabulary and appreciation for the
state of
Indigenous languages spoken in BC after visiting the Sidney Museum to view
the Our Living Languages: First Peoples’ Voices in BC travelling
exhibition.

Learn what First Nations communities throughout the province are doing to
help 34
different languages survive and flourish, in Our Living Languages, a
beautifully designed exhibition from the Royal BC Museum and First Peoples’
Cultural Council that
celebrates the resilience and diversity of Indigenous languages in the face
of change.

Languages, especially the languages we grow up with, are powerful and
potent markers
of identity and culture. BC, one of the planet’s most linguistically
diverse regions, is
known as a linguistic “hotspot” because of the diversity and vitality of
the First Nations
languages in BC.

Through interactive stations, video and audio, Our Living Languages First
Peoples’ Voices in BC provides visitors with the opportunity to learn more
about the history of disrupted languages in BC, the complexity of these
languages, and the people–and entire communities–that are working
tirelessly to document and revitalize them.

The Sidney Museum will also be highlight information about the local
W̱SÁNEĆ language, SENĆOŦEN. After noticing a decline in the use of SENĆOŦEN
amongst his people due to government policies and residential schools, Dave
Elliott added lessons to the curriculum of the Tsartlip Indian Day School
and in 1978 created the SENĆOŦEN alphabet. Since then, W̱SÁNEĆ communities
have undergone tremendous efforts to carry forward the language in programs
such as immersion experiences in schools and adult lessons.

*Members of the public are invited to attend a blessing ceremony, by
representatives from the W̱SÁNEĆ Leadership Council, to mark the opening of
the exhibit which will be held at the Sidney Museum on Monday April 15th at
10:00am. *

Our Living Languages First Peoples’ Voices in BC runs from April 15-July
24, 2024 at the Sidney Museum.

The Sidney Museum is located at 2423 Beacon Avenue, in the lower level of
the Olde Post Office building. The Museum is open seven days a week from
10:00am-4:00pm. Entrance is by donation. Please visit sidneymuseum.ca for
more details on the current and upcoming exhibitions.

For more information contact:

Michael Goodchild
Executive Director, Sidney Museum
250- 655-6355
director at sidneymuseum.ca

--
*Charlotte Clar* (she/her)
Outreach and Volunteer Coordinator

2423 Beacon Ave L-3
Sidney BC  V8L 1X5
250-655-6355
outreach at sidneymuseum.ca
sidneymuseum.ca
*We respectfully acknowledge the Sidney Museum & Archives has been shaped
by the colonial history of Canada, and is located in Sidney/SET,TINES on
the territory of the W̱SÁNEĆ People including the **BOḰEĆEN (Pauquachin),
SȾÁ,UTW̱ (Tsawout), W̱JOȽEȽP (Tsartlip) and W̱SÍḴEM (Tseycum) First
Nations.*
*We understand that territory acknowledgment is just one part of
Reconciliation, and the museum continues to work towards other ways that we
can participate in Reconciliation alongside Indigenous communities.*