[BCMA] Knife sharpener handle - inquiry about material

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Wed Sep 27 23:34:00 PDT 2023

Hi I'm a  conservator who did a Greek national treasure made of hippo
ivory  with some elephant ivory , (Palaikastro Kouros). This taught me how
to do id ivory , I typically  need to see the end , hippo looks like tree
rings and elephant a distorted chessboard . I guess the metal does not come
off?  How close a photo can you take? There is a book on the variety of
ivories done by my ex colleague from there Olga  H. Krzyszkowska (had to
cut and paste to avoid typos ) It did though get a mixed review
https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/antiquity/article/abs/olga-krzyszkowska-classical-handbook-3-ivory-and-related-materials-xvi-109-pages-30-figures-32-plates-1-map-1990-london-british-institute-of-classical-studies-bics-supplement-59-isbn-900587628-issn-09512586-paperback-12/0A2AC437F953D62A062A1251B1A74E64

I'm currently in UK caring for mum, so cannot see it close up  until she
passes , I'm a Brit married to a Burnaby Canadian
Paul Harrison FIIC