[BCMA] Job Posting: Education Coordinator (full-time)

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Wed Oct 4 13:27:08 PDT 2023

 The Nikkei National Museum & Cultural Centre is seeking a permanent
full-time Education Coordinator.

WHO WE ARE:

Nikkei National Museum & Cultural Centre’s (NNMCC) mission is to honour,
preserve, and share the history and heritage of Japanese Canadians and
Japanese culture in Canada. Located in Burnaby, BC, the NNMCC is a museum
and gathering place that bridges Japanese and Canadian arts, culture, and
history, fostering pride in our heritage and a strong multicultural Canada.
We do so through exhibitions, events, and programming, and by preserving
and maintaining our Japanese Canadian archives, collection, and library for
research, education, and interpretation.

POSITION SUMMARY:

If you are inspired by creative teaching and have a passion for culture +
heritage, this role will shape the direction and application of all educational
+ cultural programming, school programs and other educational experiences at
the NNMCC.

EXAMPLE OF TASKS:

   - Facilitate educational tours and school programs including weekly,
   ongoing, and one-time programs that relate to arts, culture, language, and
   heritage.

·         Coordinate budgets, programs and procedures related to
educational programs.

·         Develop an annual education programs schedule.

   - Develop and manage educational resources

·         Develop, distribute and track gallery worksheets, educational
materials, and evaluation forms.

   - Develop educational programs for rotating exhibits with
   Director|Curator
   - Evaluate ongoing programs and develop new programs, potential grants,
   sponsorship and donation opportunities as pertinent.
   - Interface with Volunteer Coordinator to recruit, schedule, and
   supervise volunteers.
   - Interface with Communications and Design Coordinators for publicity
   and promotion of cultural and educational programs.

QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS

·         College diploma or university degree in arts and
education-related field, such as Education, History, Communications,
Anthropology, and Asian Studies plus minimum two years work experience; or
the equivalent in work experience.

·         Computer literate including MS Office and database, spreadsheets
and word processing. Website experience is an asset.

·         Excellent customer service skills and ability to communicate with
diverse groups and individuals.

·         Time management and organizational skills, ability to exercise
good judgment.

·         Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure and in a
fast-paced environment.

·         Experience supervising staff and volunteers.

·         Knowledge of Canadian and Japanese Canadian history an asset.

·         Fluent in English.

·         Japanese Language skill is an asset.

Terms commensurate with qualifications + experience.

Hours: Full-time (35 hours/week), Tuesday-Saturday (with expectation to
adjust schedule to support activities).

Salary: $35,000 - $40,000 plus benefits

Reports to: Museum Director|Curator

APPLICATION:

Please email your CV and cover letter to Museum Director|Curator

Sherri Kajiwara – skajiwara at nikkeiplace.org

DEADLINE: We will accept applications until this position is filled

We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected
for an interview will be contacted.

We respectfully acknowledge that the Nikkei National Museum & Cultural
Centre is on the unceded traditional territories of the Sḵwx̱wú7mesh
<https://www.squamish.net/> Nation and the Hən̓q̓əmin̓əm̓ - speaking
Nations, including the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm <https://www.musqueam.bc.ca/>,
səl̓ilwətaɁɬ <https://twnation.ca/>, and kʷikʷəƛ̓əm
<https://www.kwikwetlem.com/>, whose ancestors have cared for these lands
for countless generations. We are honoured to live, learn and gather
together, on Indigenous land <https://maps.fpcc.ca/>.

­­­­­

Nichola Ogiwara 荻原にこら

Communications Coordinator
Nikkei National Museum & Cultural Centre

日系文化センター・博物館
6688 Southoaks Crescent, Burnaby BC  V5E 4M7
*T* 604.777.7000 ext.109

<https://centre.nikkeiplace.org/>    <https://www.facebook.com/NNMCC>
<https://www.instagram.com/nikkeimuseum/>
<https://twitter.com/nikkeimuse>