[BCMA] FREE Kazuko Ozeki Leather Artworks | Large Scale

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Thu Nov 23 16:57:19 PST 2023

*Kazuko Ozeki leather artist, Japan*
3 leather works by Kazuko Ozeki were gifted to Nikkei Centre in 2000 to be
used in room décor.

Artwork value at the time was $4,000 each

The works were part of the interior design when Nikkei Centre first opened.
Now in 2023, the multi-purpose room that the works hang in is being
re-decorated and we are unable to keep the pieces in situ.  As they were
never officially donated so are not part of our collection.  We are
offering them for free for anyone interested as long as you are able to
come pick up the works.

Dimensions of the Works:

White: 62.5” width x 74” height x 2.17”
Brown: 52.5” width x 67.5” height x 5.2”
Black: 67.5” width x 56” height x 3.15”

In 2003, the artist was personally in Vancouver, and donated 5 of her works
to UBC. Here is an excerpt from the UBC Library Report 2003/3

Well known Japanese artist Kazuko Ozeki donated five formative leather
artworks to UBC Library in2003. These works were part of the Japan Arts
Fest for UBC's Year of Japan held at the Asian Centre. In collaboration
with Mrs. Ozeki, it was decided that the works would enhance the entry
level of the newly refurbished Woodward Biomedical Library. Mrs. Ozeki was
able to visit Woodward Library for a celebration of the installation of her
artwork in July 2003 and was very pleased with their placement. She shared
insights on the meaning of each piece and described the technicalities of
creating the works as well as how they should be maintained. Unlike most
artwork, these are meant to be touched.

Please contact us if you would like to learn more, or view additional
photos of the artwork.

Danielle

Danielle Harumi Jette

Design & Exhibit Coordinator
Nikkei National Museum & Cultural Centre

日系文化センター・博物館
6688 Southoaks Crescent, Burnaby BC  V5E 4M7
*T* 604.777.7000 ext.109

<https://centre.nikkeiplace.org/>    <https://www.facebook.com/NNMCC>
<https://www.instagram.com/nikkeimuseum/>
<https://twitter.com/nikkeimuse>
<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKRcTPnSV-jRd6Ob6u4GrqQ>
We respectfully acknowledge that the Nikkei National Museum & Cultural
Centre is on the unceded traditional territories of the Sḵwx̱wú7mesh
<https://www.squamish.net/> Nation and the Hən̓q̓əmin̓əm̓ - speaking
Nations, including the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm <https://www.musqueam.bc.ca/>,
səl̓ilwətaɁɬ <https://twnation.ca/>, and kʷikʷəƛ̓əm
<https://www.kwikwetlem.com/>, whose ancestors have cared for these lands
for countless generations. We are honoured to live, learn and gather
together, on Indigenous land <https://maps.fpcc.ca/>.