[BCMA] Job Posting: Curatorial Aide, The Burnaby Art Gallery

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Tue Nov 21 14:43:10 PST 2023

The City of Burnaby is hiring a Curatorial Aide, to work with the curatorial and collections team of the Burnaby Art Gallery. Come join our team!

Competition No: 2023-354
Duration: Regular Part Time
Salary: $27.28 – 28.35 – 29.52 – 30.74 – 31.97/hour
Schedule: 56 hours bi-weekly (0.80 FTE); Monday to Thursday from 9:30 AM – 5:00 PM

*Deadline to apply: November 29, 2023*
https://tre.tbe.taleo.net/tre01/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=CITYBURNABY&cws=37&rid=6012

The Curatorial Aide will assist the Curatorial and Collections teams of the Burnaby Art Gallery, which produce challenging, thought-provoking, inspiring, and diverse exhibitions representing local, regional, and national artistic talent throughout the year. The Curatorial Aide will work as part of a team to realize exhibitions and related projects, including publications and artist residencies. This is clerical, manual and research work assisting a supervisor with curatorial duties at the Burnaby Art Gallery. The Curatorial Aide will conduct research tasks on collections, exhibits and history as directed; assist a supervisor in the coordination of artworks and projects; and create engaging written marketing material. A Curatorial Aide will clean exhibit and display areas; pack, move and transport items as required, perform data entry, support the coordination and documentation of BAG projects, and general clerical duties. Performs other related duties as required.

Qualifications include completion of Grade 12, supplemented by courses (post-secondary preferred) relevant to the work and some experience preferably in a museum, public art gallery or library, or an equivalent combination of training and experience. An incumbent will have sound knowledge of the handling and care required for artifacts and art objects, as well standard art gallery methods, techniques, and systems applicable to the work. Some knowledge of the practices and procedures used in various software applications and their capabilities as related to the work performed; ability to perform basic research duties; to understand and effectively carry out verbal and written instructions and to keyboard and to operate various software applications to process a variety of documents and to prepare and maintain related records and files. A Curatorial Aide will also have skills in the use of a variety of materials, tools and equipment used in the installation, conservation, and display, and documentation of artworks. A Driver’s Licence for the Province of British Columbia is required.

Please apply online by November 29, 2023.

Copies of relevant professional certificates, degrees, or tickets will be required at the time of the interview.

At the City of Burnaby, we are committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workforce that authentically mirrors the vibrant community we proudly serve. We consistently embrace diversity and endeavor to build an inclusive workforce that celebrates the richness of our community. We warmly welcome applicants of all genders, ages, ethnicities, cultures, abilities, sexual orientations, and life experiences to join us in shaping a more vibrant and equitable future together.

Please contact People and Culture at 604-294-7303 if you do not receive a confirmation email within one hour of submitting your application online.

We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted.

Emily Dundas Oke
Assistant Curator
She | Her | Hers
Burnaby Art Gallery
604-297-4426
City of Burnaby  |  Burnaby Art Gallery
6344 Deer Lake Ave  |  Burnaby, BC  V5G 2J3
Our Purpose: To create the city that we all want to live in and be in.
*Upcoming Vacation: November 27, 28, 29*

The City of Burnaby respectfully acknowledges that Burnaby is located on the ancestral and unceded homelands of the hən̓q̓əmin̓əm̓ and Sḵwx̱wú7mesh speaking peoples.

The contents of this email message are solely the writings, thoughts and/or ideas of the account holder and may not necessarily reflect those of the City of Burnaby. If you have any concerns regarding inappropriate use of this account please e-mail the postmaster at burnaby.ca<mailto:postmaster at burnaby.ca>