[BCMA] E-Book “Stories of My People” by Roy Ito

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Tue May 30 16:20:32 PDT 2023

*The Nikkei National Museum & Cultural Centre launches a new
e-publicationStories of My People, by Roy Ito*

Download link:
https://centre.nikkeiplace.org/resources/read/stories-of-my-people/

“Stories of My People” by Roy Ito, originally published in 1994, offers a
unique and comprehensive perspective on Japanese Canadian history. It
serves as a valuable record of the contributions and stories of Japanese
Canadians, intertwining community experiences with personal narratives from
esteemed Nikkei pioneers like Manzo Nagano, Yasushi Yamazaki, Tatsuro Buck
Suzuki, Tom Shoyama, and other significant figures within the Japanese
Canadian community. Roy Ito has masterfully uncovered captivating stories
that epitomize the historical Japanese Canadian experience. His information
derives from direct interviews and ongoing personal relationships with the
individuals whose experiences he shares. Furthermore, as an insider to the
community, Roy Ito brings his own distinct perspective, providing
unparalleled knowledge and connections to his subjects. This book serves as
a vital resource for researchers, as it offers access to these rare and
hard-to-find stories that are not readily available in other publications.
However, obtaining a copy of the book can be challenging, as it is
currently out of print and only available in hard copy.

To address this issue and make the book more accessible, the NNMCC has
responded to a request from Roy Ito’s family by producing an epub digital
format. This digital edition aims to reach a wider audience and assist
researchers worldwide. In a time when we have lost many of our elders who
endured Japanese Canadian internment, reading “Stories of My People”
provides a remarkable opportunity to connect with firsthand accounts from
those who lived through these experiences. Although we cannot preserve our
elders indefinitely, this digital book ensures that future generations can
directly engage with the author and the numerous individuals he
interviewed, allowing their legacies to endure.

We gratefully acknowledge the support from Metro Vancouver and the Province
of British Columbia.

Nichola Ogiwara 荻原にこら

Communications Coordinator
Nikkei National Museum & Cultural Centre

日系文化センター・博物館
6688 Southoaks Crescent, Burnaby BC  V5E 4M7
*T* 604.777.7000 ext.109

<https://centre.nikkeiplace.org/>    <https://www.facebook.com/NNMCC>
<https://www.instagram.com/nikkeimuseum/>
<https://twitter.com/nikkeimuse>