[BCMA] Register Now! Beyond Colonial Holidays: Exploring Community-Responsive Alternatives

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Fri May 26 12:34:32 PDT 2023

*Beyond Colonial Holidays: Exploring Community-Responsive Alternatives*

Wednesday, June 14

12-1 PM (PST)

Inspired by the #CancelCanadaDay discussions of the past few years, join a
panel of arts, culture, and heritage professionals as we reflect on forms
of community engagement that draw the focus away from celebrations of
colonial holidays.

Speakers Sherri Kajiwara, Dr. Satwinder Bains, and Dr. Tzu-I Chung will
share about the histories and events that we can dedicate our time to
instead, drawing on examples from the Nikkei National Museum and Culture
Centre, University of Fraser Valley’s South Asian Studies Institute (SASI),
and the Royal BC Museum.

Register for free here:
https://members.museum.bc.ca/public/event/details/c6892a08021af2baab2d56b18a741b85359f8105/1
.

[image: Beyond Colonial Holidays Panel Discussion-2.png]

Jazmin Hundal
Outreach Coordinator
Pronouns <https://equity.ubc.ca/resources/gender-diversity/pronouns/>:
She/Her/Hers

Do you identify as Indigenous, Black, or a Person of Colour working in the
cultural sector? Check out our IBPOC Network homepage
<https://museum.bc.ca/membership/mentorship/ibpoc-museum-professionals-network/?cm=1&cy=2023>,
where resources, community support, and upcoming networking sessions can be
found.

www.museum.bc.ca