[BCMA] Communications & Community Outreach Assistant (Canada Summer Jobs)

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Wed May 17 15:24:58 PDT 2023

 Communications & Community Outreach Assistant (Canada Summer Jobs)

Coquitlam Heritage is Coquitlam’s Museum. We operate Mackin House and Fraser Mills Train Station. We preserve, honour, and promote the diverse history of Coquitlam through tours, exhibits, social media and events at our location and at various venues around Coquitlam. The variety of Coquitlam Heritage’s programming, exhibits, and outreach activities throughout the year highlight historical and cultural perspectives to enhance community understanding on a diversity of perspectives relevant to our growing community.

Working with the Communications and Community Outreach Manager, and the team, the Communications and Community Outreach assistant will support communications and marketing campaigns for Coquitlam Heritage, work on outreach programs in development, and be part of our event outreach team.

This role includes researching, writing, and designing for web based and print material, creating social media campaigns, posts and reels, event photography, and video editing. The assistant will also assist with onsite and off-site event set up, talking to community members of all ages and engaging our audiences in ways that build meaningful connections over time.

Requirements

Hard Skills:

  *   Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
  *   Excellent design and editing skills
  *   Sound knowledge of Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and Mailchimp
  *   Proficient in the Adobe Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Premiere)

  *   Working knowledge of Canva, Squarespace and Wordpress is an asset.
  *   Can lift up to 20 lbs safely.
  *   Applicants must be fluent in English, but fluency in French or another language is an asset
  *   Driver’s licence and access to a car an asset
Soft Skills:

  *   Demonstrates a genuine interest in community, heritage, history, and culture
  *   An interest in learning more about and telling the story of, the people of this region
  *   Displays a helpful and outgoing personality. Works well independently and in a team
  *   Has the ability to focus on and complete tasks in a timely manner
  *   Is organized and proactive

  1.  Is flexible and happy to lend a hand wherever it’s needed.

Eligibility:

  *   This position is suitable for those considering a career in Communications, marketing, museum communications and programming, tourism, community building or history. Applicants should be working towards a degree in Communications, Marketing, Museum Studies, Education, History, Tourism, or a related field.
  *   Applicants must pass a criminal record check

  *   Per the Canada Summer Jobs requirements, applicants:
     *   Must be age 15-30 years old as of the start date
     *   Must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person who has been granted refugee status in Canada. International students are not eligible.

Coquitlam Heritage is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applicants from underrepresented groups, including new immigrant youth/refugees, Indigenous youth, youth with disabilities and visible minorities.

This is a 30 hour a week position that will run for 8 weeks, working Tuesday to Saturday.  Applicants should be able to work Saturdays and some weekends.
Compensation: $17.00/hr

To Apply:
Please send a cover letter and resume in a single PDF outlining how you meet the requirements, and your portfolio to:
Charisma Christal
Communications and Community Outreach Coordinator
cchristal at coquitlamheritage.ca
Subject line: YourName_CmnsOutreach_Assistant_CSJ_Application

Deadline:
June 10th, 2023