[BCMA] P/T Regular Job Opportunity at the Maritime Museum of BC

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Thu May 4 11:00:11 PDT 2023

Part Time Regular Employment Opportunity

Position:  Memberships and Donations Coordinator

ABOUT THE MARITIME MUSEUM OF BC

Our mission is to engage communities in witnessing and preserving maritime heritages. Our vision is that maritime experiences are boldly embraced, shared and lived from a cultural centre on the waterfront.

The Maritime Museum of BC (MMBC) offers year-round exhibits, programs, and events including school programs, craft workshops, skills based Maritime Masterclasses, a speaker series, and annual events like the Massive Marine and Outdoor Garage Sale and the Victoria Classic Boat Festival.

The MMBC has three locations: one downtown public location (about 3,000 sq/ft) and two off site storage locations (totalling 13,000 sq/ft). The collections contain:

*	35,000 objects
*	500 pieces of artwork
*	550 flags
*	Ship models of BC vessels
*	8,500 books
*	35,000 ships’ plans
*	40,000 historic photographs
*	3 historic sailing vessels called Tillikum, Dorothy, and Trekka.

The MMBC is currently run by 5 staff members, 11 Board members, and approximately 100 volunteers who provide their time throughout the year in all areas of museum operations.

The Team

Our team at the MMBC is tight-knit, flexible, and excited about the work we do. We work closely with an amazing and supportive group of committed board members and volunteers. All of us come from different backgrounds, which we believe is part of our strength! We also have community partners in many local organizations who we work with and deliver programming to on a regular basis.

What you can expect

This position functions as a liaison between the MMBC and its members and donors. This includes answering queries, providing information, devising regular communication activities, maintaining membership and donation records, and growing our membership base.

As the successful candidate, this is an opportunity for you to take ownership of key systems within the MMBC operations. You will be responsible for overseeing the membership and donations database using Kindful, as well as managing communications through Mail Chimp. A large part of this position requires processing and tracking data in both of these systems, so strong attention to detail is key. You will thrive on establishing and maintaining clean and simple systems that allows our memberships and donations to be tracked efficiently and effectively.

>From time to time we host member and/or donor events. You will assist the Events and Development Manager with the planning and execution of these events by preparing invite lists, sending invitations, tracking RSVPs, and helping with the running of the event.

To be successful in this role you should be able to gradually grow membership numbers and ensure member satisfaction. To do so, you will be an excellent communicator with a talent for building strong relationships between members and the MMBC. You will also ensure donor satisfaction by maintaining donor communications, reporting and thanking systems, and effective processing of donation tax receipting.

As this is a data driven role, success will be measured both qualitatively and quantitatively. You will be asked to report on member and donor numbers, including retention figures, at regular intervals.

Position Responsibilities

*	Enter and maintain all membership and donation information in the Kindful database
*	Enter and track Canada Helps donations in Kindful
*	Maintain memberships and donations email lists in Mail Chimp
*	Prepare and send communications to members and donors through Mail Chimp
*	Organize and send out monthly membership e-newsletters through Mail Chimp
*	Generate and manage lists and reports in Kindful and Mail Chimp as needed
*	Developing and implementing strategies to recruit new members and attract new donors
*	Produce and send out donation receipts and thank you letters
*	Write, prepare, and mail the quarterly donor newsletter packages
*	Assist with member and donor-based events
*	Produce invoices for all membership-related activities
*	Liaise with partnering organizations to establish and maintain joint membership benefits
*	Maintain and update a thorough list of member benefits
*	Prepare membership marketing materials using Canva and/or working with our external graphic designer.
*	Implement new member benefit options
*	Track data and prepare membership and donation reports quarterly, annually, and around targeted campaigns
*	Assist with running donation campaigns including preparing and sending email communications and mail outs
*	Additional duties as discussed with the Executive Director

The ideal candidate will:

*	Have at least 2 years experience in working in membership management, sales, or recruitment
*	Have good interpersonal skills
*	Be highly organized
*	Have strong attention to detail
*	Think creatively and take initiative
*	Have a positive outlook and be a good team player
*	Have excellent writing and editing skills
*	Have the ability to work independently, be self-directed, and demonstrate initiative
*	Be self driven and can easily handle multiple priorities with deadlines at once
*	Be enthusiastic and motivated to learn about maritime history

The following are considered assets:

*	Familiarity with Mail Chimp
*	Familiarity with Kindful
*	Experience with handling confidential information

The selected candidate will need to agree to and sign that they have read and understood the following:

*	Employee Manual
*	Code of Conduct
*	Vacation Policy

What We Offer:

*	Flexible time off including the option to substitute statutory holidays.
*	Health spending account after a probationary period of three months.
*	A new matching RRSP contribution up to $500
*	Five paid sick days a year.
*	Professional development opportunities including paid time for cultural learning.
*	Enjoyable work that matters with a collaborative and supportive team.

Salary: Starting wage, $21.53 - $24.23/hour, depending on experience.

Schedule: 20 hours a week, spread between Tuesday to Saturday. An exact schedule is to be discussed with the Executive Director and could vary week by week. Some evening and weekend work will be required.

Application due: 31 May 2023 at 4pm

Start Date: Preferably 26 June 2023, but to be discussed. There will be a three-month probationary period.

TO APPLY

Please apply with a cover letter, resume, and three references in a single PDF to the HR Committee by email at  <mailto:bvis at mmbc.bc.ca> bvis at mmbc.bc.ca.

The Maritime Museum of BC actively welcomes and encourages applications from women, people with disabilities, Indigenous peoples, and visible minorities.

We would like to thank all applications for their interest in this position. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.

--

Brittany V. Vis, MLIS (she, her)

Executive Director

250-385-4222

 <http://mmbc.bc.ca/> Maritime Museum of British Columbia

The Maritime Museum of BC is on the territories of the Lək̓ʷəŋən Peoples, specifically the Songhees and Xwsepsum (Esquimalt) Nations, who have respected these lands and waters for thousands of years.