[BCMA] Tegami - Announcing a collection digitization project by the Nikkei National Museum

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Thu Mar 2 10:51:35 PST 2023

The Nikkei National Museum & Cultural Centre is proud to announce the
completion of our 2022-2023 digitization project *Tegami: Reaching Out
Across Distance*. Over the last year, we digitized significant materials
from the Eiji Yatabe Collection
<https://www.nikkeimuseum.org/www/collections_detail.php?col_id=F1613>
and Shinobu
Family Fonds
<https://nikkeimuseum.org/www/collections_detail.php?col_id=F1584>
(collections),
with a particular focus on hundreds of letters written during the 1940s
forced uprooting and dispossession. Over forty of these letters are between
close friends *Mariko Tokunaga* and *Kazuko Shinobu*, following each girl
from their arrival at internment camps in the midst of their high school
education to their moves out east to Ontario. With continued support from
the Yatabe family, these letters and other items are now digitized and
available for viewing in our database at nikkeimuseum.org.

Thank you to the University of British Columbia’s Irving K Barber BC
History Digitization Program
<https://ikblc.ubc.ca/initiatives/bcdigitinfo/> for
their support.

The project team is Sherri Kajiwara, Lisa Uyeda, and Sam Frederick.

Please visit our website <https://centre.nikkeiplace.org/2023/03/02/tegami/>
for more project information.

Nichola Ogiwara 荻原にこら

Communications Coordinator
Nikkei National Museum & Cultural Centre

日系文化センター・博物館
6688 Southoaks Crescent, Burnaby BC  V5E 4M7
*T* 604.777.7000 ext.109

<https://centre.nikkeiplace.org/>    <https://www.facebook.com/NNMCC>
<https://www.instagram.com/nikkeimuseum/>
<https://twitter.com/nikkeimuse>