[BCMA] LOOKING FOR DOUBLE SIDED ARCHIVAL TAPE

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Mon Jan 9 16:33:46 PST 2023

Hello Ron,

My suggestion may or may not be helpful.  In my experience, “archival” tape is extremely difficult to remove once applied.  I usually encounter it on paper so you might have more luck having it removed from textiles (I assume the badges are textiles?) but I would not recommend attaching it directly to collection material, generally speaking.  Also, there is no real, legally-binding definition of the word “archival” as it pertains to consumer products (to my knowledge) so just because a tape is described as “archival” doesn’t mean you won’t get residues left behind.  If these badges are irreplaceable and part of your permanent collection, you might want to find another alternative.

Just to through out another possible suggestion – could you sew the badges to some canvas and then apply Velcro to that?  Or sew magnets between two pieces of canvas and then sew the badges to that?  Maybe also add some archival board in the canvas magnet bags to provide some rigid support for the badges?  I know that would be a great deal more labour to mount but it would also afford you a great deal of flexibility.  Plus the whole process would be completely reversible.  Just a suggestion though – perhaps there are some textiles experts out there with more insight.

I hope that is helpful.

Kind regards,
Lauren
Lauren Buttle    (She/Her)        Archival Conservator  |  Archives

ROYAL BC MUSEUM
Traditional Territory of the Lekwungen (Songhees and Xwsepsum Nations)
675 Belleville Street, Victoria, BC Canada V8W 9W2
T 250 208-0370
LButtle at royalbcmuseum.bc.ca<mailto:LButtle at royalbcmuseum.bc.ca>   |  royalbcmuseum.bc.ca  <https://royalbcmuseum.bc.ca>

Join us on:Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/RoyalBCMuseum>  | Twitter<https://twitter.com/#!/RoyalBCMuseum>  |  Flickr<http://www.flickr.com/photos/36463010@N05/>  |  Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/royalbcmuseum/>  |  Website<http://www.rbcm.ca/>
It’s back! Don’t miss the stunningly evocative Wildlife Photographer of the Year<https://royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/visit/exhibitions/wildlife-photographer-year-2022> exhibition, on now.
Watch unlimited documentaries and save 20% on museum admission along with many, many other perks with your purchase of an IMAX® Victoria Annual Pass<https://imaxvictoria.com/annual-pass/>.