[BCMA] U of T Master of Museum Studies Internship

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Tue Jan 31 08:56:00 PST 2023

Good afternoon everyone!

The Master of Museum Studies (MMSt) Internship Program at the Faculty of Information at the University of Toronto is reaching out to employers and partners as we begin the recruitment of our summer 2023 internships!

The Internship Program runs between May and August and internships can start anytime from May to early July 2023.

The minimum number of hours required for Summer 2023 internship is 280 hours.

Our graduate students are emerging museum professionals with knowledge, skills, and competencies they are eager to put to work and to grow in an internship. They have a wide range of academic and professional specializations appropriate to the museums. Internships involve areas of museum practice, from collections to curatorial, programming to exhibit development, and fundraising and development

To learn more about the MMSt program and see some examples of our students in action, please visit our site at: https://ischool.utoronto.ca/current-students/programs-courses/programs-of-study/master-of-museum-studies/

For questions and next steps, please email me at sanaa.khan at utoronto.ca for more information!

I've copied details and the next steps highlighted below. I'd be happy to jump into a call with you if you like. You can use the bookings link below and select a time that works for you. The invite integrates a Teams meeting link. If the times do not work, feel free to suggest alternatives.

Book a meeting with Sana<https://outlook.office365.com/owa/calendar/FacultyofInformationEmployerEngagement@utoronto.onmicrosoft.com/bookings/s/Dy7FwEpfXkCeUtiBpdV-tA2>

Thank you and have a wonderful weekend!

-Sana

Program and Process Details

The Master of Museum Studies Internship Program, Faculty of Information, U of T

The MMSt Internship Program is designed to place our students between their first and second year of enrollment in a recognized museum, gallery or related institution. Our graduate students are emerging museum professionals with knowledge, skills, and competencies they are eager to put to work and to grow in an internship. They have a wide range of academic and professional specializations appropriate to the museums. Internships involve areas of museum practice, from collections to curatorial, programming to exhibit development, and fundraising and development. Our internship program provides students:

  *   An avenue to develop competence in the practice of museum studies
  *   An opportunity to apply theory to practice by engaging in hands on work with industry professionals
  *   An opportunity to gain invaluable practical experience
  *   A program designed to meet students' individual career goals and interests

Internship Expectations:

  *   Industry expertise that is accessible to the student and that aligns with the scope of the Internship
  *   Mentorship and consistency in presence and touchpoints, so that students have one person they can reach out to for support and guidance
  *   Clarity of tasks and expectations
  *   An inclusive workplace and space
  *   Accessible by transit and/or offering a hybrid model to enable access

Timeline and Duration:

  *   The Summer 2023 Internship Program runs between May and August. Internships can start anytime between May and early July 2023.
  *   The minimum number of hours required for Summer 2023 internship is 280 hours. This is based on a 35-hour work week. This averages out to 8 weeks.
  *   For students to meet the internship minimum number of hours, they should have secured an internship that starts by the first week of July in 2023.
  *   Recruitment begins in January, and generally peaks in March, April and May due to YCW timelines.

Compensation

The internship may be paid or unpaid. Our graduate students are emerging museum professionals with knowledge, skills, and competencies that they are eager to put to work and to grow in an internship. They are also facing financial challenges, as many students do, which makes it difficult for them to accept unpaid positions; or when they do, they must also take on part-time jobs to cover the cost of living. The Faculty of Information offers stipends of up to $2000 to students unable to secure internship positions that can offer an hourly rate or an honorarium that covers students' cost of living.

Below are some funding resources should you be interested in securing government funding to hire interns. Our Master of Museum Studies Program is a verified program with Young Canada Works and your position may qualify for that funding, or other funding as is available.

  *   Summer Experience Program for Ontario Museums - https://<https://ischool-utoronto-csm.symplicity.com/track/6f38d91f254b0cdaac17a23436ba665d/2618972941/realurl=https:/ischool-utoronto-csm.symplicity.com/track/7f00f4a8380cb83faed6406c6d676c0d/2836791363/realurl=https:/www.ontario.ca/page/available-funding-opportunities-ontario-government#section-29>www.ontario.ca/page/available-funding-opportunities-ontario-government#section-29<https://ischool-utoronto-csm.symplicity.com/track/6f38d91f254b0cdaac17a23436ba665d/2618972941/realurl=http:/www.ontario.ca/page/available-funding-opportunities-ontario-government#section-29>
  *   Young Canada Works - https://<https://ischool-utoronto-csm.symplicity.com/track/6f38d91f254b0cdaac17a23436ba665d/2618972941/realurl=https:/ischool-utoronto-csm.symplicity.com/track/7f00f4a8380cb83faed6406c6d676c0d/2836791363/realurl=https:/www.canada.ca/en/canadian-heritage/services/funding/young-canada-works.html>www.canada.ca/en/canadian-heritage/services/funding/young-canada-works.html<https://ischool-utoronto-csm.symplicity.com/track/6f38d91f254b0cdaac17a23436ba665d/2618972941/realurl=http:/www.canada.ca/en/canadian-heritage/services/funding/young-canada-works.html>

Posting your Opportunity on Symplicity

All partners are encouraged to create an account on our in-house database and platform, Symplicity. You will be able to post your opportunity directly on the platform, to facilitate an efficient and engaging recruitment. Please see below for how you can sign in and post for Summer 2023!

Next Steps - Symplicity Employer Login or Account Creation

Create an Account:

  1.  Click on https://ischool-utoronto-csm.symplicity.com/employers<https://ischool-utoronto-csm.symplicity.com/track/6f38d91f254b0cdaac17a23436ba665d/2618972941/realurl=https:/ischool-utoronto-csm.symplicity.com/employers> and click on the ‘Sign Up’ button. You may want to bookmark this page.
  2.  Find your organization and enter your Contact information.
  3.  If your organization is NOT listed, type in the full name of your organization and complete your account information.
  4.  Once your account have been approved, you will be notified within 3 business days. You will then be able to access your account, post your position, and view applications.

Post your positions:

  1.  Sign in and click ‘Post a Position’ from the left menu of the Home page. We suggest a 2-3 week application window to help our students balance the demands of the recruitment cycle and their coursework. We do understand that your recruitment timelines will vary based on your needs.
  2.  On the posting page, select ‘Summer 2023’ for the Work Term and select ‘MMSt Internship’ for the Position Type.
  3.  Complete the form and click ‘Submit’. Positions will be reviewed and approved within 3 business days. You will receive an approval confirmation email.

Support: If you have any questions or run into any technical difficulties, please let us know - careers.ischool at utoronto.ca

Warm Regards,

Sana Khan, CCDP (she/her) | Engagement Coordinator

Faculty of Information (iSchool) | University of Toronto

140 St. George St. Toronto, ON  M5S 3G6

Room: BL409 sanaa.khan at utoronto.ca<mailto:sanaa.khan at utoronto.ca> | www.ischool.utoronto.ca<http://www.ischool.utoronto.ca/>