[BCMA] Now Available – Moved to Action: Activating UNDRIP in Canadian Museums

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Mon Sep 26 15:00:51 PDT 2022

<https://museums.in1touch.org/emailredirect.html?emailSentId=6566176&redirectUrl=https%3A%2F%2Fmuseums.ca%2F&key=6919A4D689A0FE9E8D46D922E12A6B09AA06F439276A10D2185F91885E0B2512>

*Ottawa, September 26, 2022*
*Now Available – Moved to Action: Activating UNDRIP in Canadian Museums*

Dear members,

We are excited to send you an advance copy of our new report, *Moved to
Action: Activating UNDRIP in Canadian Museums* (link below).

In 2015, the Canadian Museums Association (CMA) was named in the Truth and
Reconciliation Commission’s Call to Action #67, to deliver a report and
recommendations as part of a national review of museum policies and their
relationship with United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous
Peoples (UNDRIP).

The report, created over five years thanks to funding from the Department
of Canadian Heritage, was informed by guidance and advice from CMA’s
Reconciliation Council, a cohesive and influential body of experts in
Indigenous culture and museum practices.

It makes 10 sector recommendations 30 new standards for museums. In
November, we hope to provide a set of learning tools for the inclusion and
representation of Indigenous communities within museums and cultural
centres.

We understand that for some the standards described in this report may seem
aspirational, severe or overwhelming. These museum standards have been set
with the understanding that achieving these will take time, respect, and
reciprocity. Allow time to process and consider how to enact these
standards. Prioritize and respect Indigenous perspectives and knowledge.
Know that this is the work of many. Look to others to support this work.
Then be moved to action.

We had many meaningful discussions on reconciliation and self-determination
in museums with Indigenous heritage professionals, knowledge keepers, and
community members. We heard critical reflection on the usefulness of the
term reconciliation. One statement rang out: Reconciliation is a gift for
museums. Together, we have an opportunity be moved to enact and support
Indigenous self-determination.

The report will become available to the press and the public tomorrow, at
which time I hope you will share with your colleagues, and over your social
media feeds. Thank you for being a part of this.

*Click here to download
<https://museums.in1touch.org/emailredirect.html?emailSentId=6566176&redirectUrl=https%3A%2F%2Fmuseums.ca%2Fuploaded%2Fweb%2FTRC_2022%2FReport-CMA-MovedToAction.pdf&key=F395D5845B03A7B3BF8F38884DF22675892E8FE702B51E4CA35E90C95BB846C2>.*

*Please note this file is 18 MB.*
* UNSUBSCRIBE <info at museums.ca?subject=unsubscribe> *
Canadian Museums Association
130 Albert Street, Suite 1203 | Ottawa | Ontario | K1P 5G4 | Canada