[BCMA] Job Opportunity: Manager - Programming

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Mon Oct 3 15:06:26 PDT 2022

The Exploration Place is looking for a Manager - Programming.

Anticipated start date:
November 18, 2022
Terms of employment:
Full-time permanent
Annual salary:
$50,000 - $60,000 (commensurate with experience) + benefits
Application deadline:
Oct 28, 2022
Number of positions:
1

About The Exploration Place:
As the largest museum and science centre outside of the lower mainland, The Exploration Place has taken a leadership role in the region and has offered quality programs and services for over two decades. The Exploration Place is a charitable organization with a mission to provide learning opportunities that foster an understanding of significant past and current issues shaping our community by linking experiences within the Regional District of Fraser-Fort George to the world in a unique, participatory Museum of regional history, science, and technology. You will be joining a team of enthusiastic and passionate individuals whose goal is to work together for the success of all departments and have fun doing it! This position is ideal for a detail-oriented, energetic, creative person who has a passion for supporting the meaningful programs and services we offer and wants to be a part of a team that makes a positive impact in our community.

Who are we looking for?
We are seeking an organized, enthusiastic, outgoing, and motivated person with proven experience and skill in administration and people management. Everyone plays a role in The Exploration Place's daily operations. We are seeking someone comfortable working with colleagues in different departments to help meet the shared goals of The Exploration Place. In addition to being comfortable presenting information to groups of all ages, both virtually and in-person, in a friendly, engaging, and professional manner, you show dedication in your efforts by taking initiative to inspire people to learn more about science, technology, culture, and heritage.

You will be working under the direct supervision of the VP - Operations in collaboration with the leadership team. You are detail-oriented, organized, complete tasks in a timely manner, and are independent yet flexible and collaborative.

What are the hours and benefits?
This is a permanent, full-time position at 40 hours per week, Monday to Friday, 8:45am to 5:15pm. A regular workday is 8 hours, with a 30-minute unpaid lunch break. Occasional extended hours, weekends and evenings for museum events will also be required.

After a 3-month probationary period, benefits include:

  *   Extended health and dental benefits
  *   Vacation accrual of 2 weeks (80 hours) annually
  *   Sick leave of 10 days (80 hours) annually
  *   Annual Membership to The Exploration Place
  *   Staff discount in our gift shop and café
  *   Professional Development opportunities related to this position and the museum and science centre industry

Job Summary:
The Manager - Programming is responsible for overseeing and effectively managing all day-to-day duties in the Programming department, as well as long-range planning and working in collaboration with other departmental managers or VPs. This position ensures that all programs are written, developed, modified, and delivered in a manner that supports The Exploration Place's mission and strategic priorities.

The Exploration Place's Programming department encompasses the education program, gallery interpretation and education partnerships in-house, locally, regionally, and provincially - with some national partnerships for program delivery. Currently, four full-time and one part-time staff report directly into this position. You must embrace and model outstanding service to all and be willing to present solutions to whatever comes your way.

The successful applicant will be responsible for the following:

  *   Developing, directing, and managing the Programming department personnel so that required staffing resources are available and strategically invested and department policies are developed and implemented that most effectively support The Exploration Place's mission and strategic priorities
  *   Using creative and innovative thinking while working with diverse ages in a non-traditional teaching and learning environment
  *   Encouraging learners to embrace curiosity, failure, fun, and discovery, with a sensitivity to the diversity of the region and the needs of under-served communities and groups
  *   Orientation and management of new programming staff, seasonal recruits, and volunteers
  *   Where needed, in consultation with the VP - Operations, recruit, interview and select qualified candidates for positions within the Programming department
  *   Ensure efficient registration, confirmation, and record-keeping procedures are in place
  *   Participate with VP - Operations in the planning and administration of Programming departmental budgets, goals, and strategic objectives
  *   Daily oversight of assigned areas, ensuring that related projects are progressing and leading the daily activities of the programming staff while serving as a role model
  *   Ensure that all programs are written, developed, modified, and delivered in a manner that supports The Exploration Place's mission and strategic priorities - in addition to being in alignment with BC Curriculum
  *   Oversee and manage the preparation, organization, and maintenance of programming supplies
  *   Acting as our liaison with Science World, collaborating and communicating with Science World staff regarding programs and key initiatives of our strategic partnership
  *   Delivering existing Tech-Up programming throughout the region, often involving travel (travel expenses are covered by The Exploration Place/Science World), where Education Technician is unable to adequately cover
  *   Plan, coordinate, and deliver the annual Prince George Heritage Fair alongside the Education Officer and volunteers
  *   Managing the development, delivery, and supervision of day or week-long camps supported by department staff
  *   Educating yourself on our galleries and exhibits, both permanent and temporary, and integrating the subject matter into public programming when appropriate
  *   Ensure departmental areas such as staff desks, programming storage spaces, and galleries remain safe and clean
  *   Ensure that attendance targets are met and do proactive outreach
  *   Manage, coordinate, and deliver community or education programs onsite, in schools, at summer/spring break camps, at community events, and within our regional district.
  *   Other administrative support, assisting with museum special events or other duties as required
  *   Represent the museum with the utmost integrity, exemplifying the values and mission of our organization

Knowledge, skills, and abilities we are looking for:

  *   Managerial skills sufficient to plan, develop, communicate, and implement programming philosophy, goals, and objectives
  *   Supervisory or managerial experience that demonstrates skills such as conflict management, mentorship, leadership, diplomacy, consensus building with diverse groups, analyzing, and resolving ambiguous or controversial issues
  *   The position requires independent judgment and critical thinking to problem solve when necessary
  *   Proven ability to speak and perform before audiences of varying sizes and compositions and to lead round table discussions of diverse people
  *   Have planned and implemented a variety of child, youth, adult, and senior programs.
  *   Experience engaging and partnering with Indigenous Nations and diverse communities
  *   Excellent oral and written communication skills
  *   Ability to work closely and communicate respectfully with The Exploration Place team at large
  *   Possess excellent time management, organization, and multi-tasking skills
  *   Be familiar and comfortable with software, including but not limited to Microsoft 365 Office Suite programs, Internet, Zoom, SLACK, and email
  *   Must show flexibility when asked to perform other tasks as needed
  *   Ability to work evenings, holidays, and weekends as scheduled
  *   Canadian citizenship or permanent resident status
  *   Possess a minimum of Grade 12 graduation diploma or equivalent
  *   Sound knowledge of, interest in, and willingness to expand understanding of science, heritage, and Indigenous reconciliation
  *   Willingness to travel around the region as well as to Vancouver as required
  *   Must be dependable and committed to carrying out your responsibilities to the best of your ability
  *   Must be willing to present a BC Vaccine Card showing full COVID-19 vaccination and abide by all COVID-19 regulations. If, over time, Health Canada updates its definition of "fully vaccinated" (such as requiring "booster" vaccine doses), employees will be expected to comply to maintain fully vaccinated status
  *   Are familiar with principles and practices of museum interpretation, program delivery, and community development
  *   Use of a vehicle and a valid BC Driver's License.

The following will be considered an asset for this position:

  *   Formal management, education and/or administrative training
  *   Experience working in the arts and culture or non-profit sectors
  *   Background and/or interest in computational thinking, coding, and digital skill development
  *   Background and/or experience in science, technology, or heritage fields
  *   Experience working with the public

The Exploration Place is an equal opportunity employer.
We do not discriminate against ability, ethnicity, gender identity, socioeconomic background, or sexual orientation. We strongly encourage applications from racialized individuals, under-represented communities, diverse backgrounds, identities, and experiences. We're looking for motivated, compassionate people who can execute from the ground up. The Exploration Place is committed to providing our team members with safe, quality work experience, employability skills, and access to career development through professional development opportunities and mentoring. We use an in-depth, hands-on training program that allows our new employees to learn by doing, working closely with all departments and our leadership team.

________________________________
All offers are subject to the satisfactory completion of reference, police criminal record checks, and proof of vaccination.  Only successful applicants will be contacted. Please email your resume, cover letter, and three references in PDF form (lastname_firstname_document) to:

Attn: Alyssa Gerwing, VP - Operations
EMAIL: alyssa.gerwing at theexplorationplace.com

LOCATED AT: 333 Becott Place in Lheidli T'enneh Memorial Park
PO Box 1779
Prince George, BC V2L 4V7

[cid:image001.png at 01D8D739.7A87AF90]
Robyn Curtis
VP - Development & Partnerships
The Exploration Place
she/her/hers
250.981.5915<tel:2509815910>
robyn at theexplorationplace.com<mailto:robyn at theexplorationplace.com>
THEEXPLORATIONPLACE.COM<theexplorationplace.com>
[Facebook]<https://www.facebook.com/TheExplorationPlace/>[Instagram]<https://www.instagram.com/theexplorationplace/?hl=en>[Twitter]<https://twitter.com/ExplorationPG>[YouTube]<https://www.youtube.com/c/TheExplorationPlacePrinceGeorge>[LinkedIn]<https://www.linkedin.com/company/the-exploration-place/>
We acknowledge that the Museum is located on the unceded ancestral territory of the Lheidli T'enneh Nation, where we are privileged to live, work, and play. The Exploration Place is a Northern BC non-profit organization and registered charity whose mission is to preserve our local history and foster lifelong learning in the areas of science, technology, heritage, and culture.