[BCMA] [MEDIA RELEASE] The Wishing Well on at Kelowna Art Gallery

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Fri Nov 4 09:29:18 PDT 2022

For Immediate Release

The Wishing Well on at Kelowna Art Gallery

November 4, 2022 - Kelowna, BC: The power duo David & Jorden Doody are the artists behind The Wishing Well at the Kelowna Art Gallery.

The Wishing Well is an experimental site-specific installation that makes use of the Doody's distinctive psychedelic patterning and explosion of colours.

If the kaleidoscopic work seems familiar, there's a reason. The Doody's have been busy leaving their mark throughout the community in recent years. They are the artists behind the large "western painted turtle" mural on Pandosy Street, the "great blue heron" and "salmon" murals downtown, as well as their work in Rutland as artistic directors of the Uptown Mural Project.

"We were so excited when Jorden & David unveiled their vision for our courtyard space," says Christine May, Curator at the Kelowna Art Gallery. "We've found that one of the key pieces for an installation to be successful in this space is to offer visitors the chance to interact with it. The Wishing Well does this in a BIG way."

Combining inspiration from classic courtyard architecture and referencing the post digital world, The Wishing Well welcomes visitors to sit, walk, and play on the sculpture, or even to make it their own personal runway.

"We wanted to break down the barrier between the viewer and the artwork," says artist Jorden Doody. "Our aim was to create kind of this magical object that becomes extraordinary when engaged by a visitor's imagination. We'd love to witness some spontaneous performances, a dance, a photo-shoot, or people just bringing a positive energy and feeling free to express whatever takes them in the moment."

David & Jorden Doody are interdisciplinary artists who examine the transitional spaces between tangible material and digital media. They are currently Visual Arts instructors at UBC Okanagan and have exhibited their work in various galleries and public spaces across Canada.

Visitors are invited to experience The Wishing Well and to bring their own magic to the mural-sculpture until September 2023. A special thank you to Kitsch Wines for their support for this project.

- 30 -

Image credit:

Installation photograph of David & Jorden Doody: The Wishing Well. Courtesy of the Kelowna Art Gallery.

Resources

Exhibition page: https://kelownaartgallery.com/the-wishing-well/

Video interview about The Wishing Well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1OVlRW00SA

Artists' Webpage:  https://thedoodys.com/<https://www.barriejones.ca/>

Jorden IG: https://www.instagram.com/jordenblue/

David IG: https://www.instagram.com/capitan_davdi/

To arrange for an interview with Jorden & David Doody, or for additional high-res images, please contact:

Joshua Desnoyers

Marketing and Events Coordinator

Kelowna Art Gallery

1315 Water Street, Kelowna, BC V1Y 9R3