[BCMA] [MEDIA RELEASE] Kelowna Art Gallery free and open on Canada Day

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Mon Jun 27 14:38:45 PDT 2022

For Immediate Release

Kelowna Art Gallery free and open on Canada Day

What: Free Admission + Art Activities

When: July 1, 2022, 10 am - 4 pm

Who: Everyone Welcome!

June 27, 2022 - Kelowna, BC: Many people will be taking advantage of the extra day off on July 1st to get out in the community. There's plenty of things to do, but the team at the Kelowna Art Gallery are inviting locals to kick their long weekend off with a healthy dose of creativity.

"We love seeing people of all ages and skill levels expressing themselves through art," says Sumi Ali, Education Coordinator at the Kelowna Art Gallery. "Plus, we know children like things they can wave around, so this year we'll be making nature-inspired wind streamers."

Those interested in diving in can get comfortable at one of the "creation stations" the Gallery will have set up around the building. All materials will be supplied, including markers, construction paper, ribbons, scissors, and glue.

Afterwards, visitors can explore the exhibits free of charge, including the hugely popular From Warhol to Banksy.  See iconic Pop Art works and ephemera from some of the art world's biggest names, including Roy Lichtenstein, Andy Warhol, Tom Wesselmann, Takashi Murakami, Banksy, and Mr. Brainwash.

There's even more to see. In the community exhibition space, over 100 local students have responded to the theme U*nique, which emphasizes the importance of knowing who we are and celebrating our differences as we grow and change with the world around us.

On a different note, natural sculptor Annabel Stanley wants visitors to touch the art in her open-air courtyard installation. The Circle of Life invites guests to #movethespheres (17 large woven spheres) to curate their own unique sculptural assemblage in the space.

The exhibitions and activities will run from 10 am to 4 pm on Canada Day. Those interested in the wind streamer activity are encouraged to come early as supplies are limited.

The Kelowna Art Gallery is located at 1315 Water Street, in downtown Kelowna, B.C.

      - 30 -

To arrange for an interview, or for additional high-res images please contact:

Joshua Desnoyers

Marketing and Events Coordinator

Kelowna Art Gallery

1315 Water Street, Kelowna, BC V1Y 9R3