[BCMA] Job Posting at the BC Sports Hall of Fame - Museum Interpreter (Canada Summer Jobs)

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Wed Jun 15 13:41:07 PDT 2022

Hello everyone,

The British Columbia Sports Hall of Fame is seeking a Canada Summer Jobs candidate to fill the Museum Interpreter (Assistant) position.

Museum Interpreter (Assistant)

Position:                              Canada Summer Job Position
Position Type:                     Full time / 35 hrs/wk / 280 hrs
Hourly rate:                         $16.50
Start Date:                           July 6th - September 3rd, 2022
Application deadline:        June 22nd at 5:00 pm

Background:
The BC Sports Hall of Fame is offering an exciting opportunity to become a member of our team dedicated to serving the organization's mission of Honoring the Past and Inspiring the Future. The Museum Assistant is responsible for delivering exceptional customer service to the visitors of the BC Sports Hall of Fame and at our community experience events.

The BC Sports Hall of Fame preserves and honors BC's sport heritage by recognizing extraordinary achievement in sport by using our collection and stories to inspire all British Columbians to pursue their dreams. Located at Gate A of BC Place, the Hall showcases accomplishments of individual athletes and teams, as well as those who have contributed to the development of sport in the province. www.bcsportshalloffame.com.

Position Overview:
The Museum Assistant fulfills a key role within the BC Sports Hall of Fame performing many tasks within the organization.

Key responsibilities include:

*          Visitor Reception duties

*          Development of promotional activities and programming - this will depend on the COVID-19 restrictions, the participant will also familiarize himself or herself with the Hall's programming to deliver group tours and/or Stadium tours.

*          Achieve positive outcomes from visitor requests in a timely and efficient manner

*          Visitor liaison (ensure visitors have a positive memorable experience through high level of customer service) while hosting at outreach events

*          Maintain Covid-19 Safety Policies and Procedures

*          Assist with Special Events as required

The Museum Interpreter (Assistant) is joining a staff team of four and will be involved in many areas of the operations. We are seeking a candidate who is passionate about sports and sport history. The candidate should enjoy working with people and have an interest in inspiring and educating the citizens of the province. By joining our staff team the candidate must show the drive and desire to support our organization and to take it to its highest potential.

Qualifications:

*          Students under the age of 30 who were registered as full time students in the previous semester and who intend to return to full time studies in the fall.

*          Excellent verbal communication skills.

*          Ability to multi task in fast-paced environment.

*          Competent level of IT proficiency.

*          Presentation skills.

*          A willingness to learn, develop and achieve new skills for personal and professional development.

Training and Skill Development Provided:

*          Gain practical experience and training in areas of: education and teaching in a museum setting, program development and promotion.

*          Obtain first-hand experience and knowledge of museum practices and principles.

*          Refine and develop public speaking skills.

*          Training and experience in developing promotional materials

*          Work within a supportive and encouraging team environment with an enthusiastic and professional staff.

We thank all who express interest in this position, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Please email a cover letter and resume to Manager, Museum Education & Guest Experience, Leanne Jung at leanne at bcsportshall.com<mailto:leanne at bcsportshall.com>.