[BCMA] Travel 'Haq and History' into your region

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Wed Jul 20 13:22:27 PDT 2022

Hello there,

We are hoping this information can be shared onto your list serve. The SASI is pleased to open up a grant application for its travelling exhibit, ‘Haq and History.’

TRAVELLING EXHIBIT

The South Asian Studies Institute (SASI)<https://ufv.ca/sasi/> at the University of the Fraser Valley (UFV), is pleased to present you with an opportunity to travel the successful ‘Haq and History’<https://www.flickr.com/photos/ufvcics/albums/72157705116873992> exhibit to your community and be a part of diversifying BC’s history.  Propelled by a $1.14 million grant from the Province of British Columbia in 2020, the ‘Haq and History’ travelling exhibit is one part of a six-project undertaking to create and implement the South Asian Canadian Legacy Project. The South Asian Canadian Legacy Project<https://saclp.southasiancanadianheritage.ca/haq-and-history-form/> empowers British Columbians to discover, learn, research, and share the rich and robust histories of South Asian Canadians who helped build this beautiful province.

We are excited to bring an opportunity to communities across BC to engage with the ‘Haq and History’ travelling exhibit as a part of our legacy output. The exhibit is an outcome of the Punjabi Canadian Legacy Project (2015 – 2017),<https://www.flickr.com/photos/ufvcics/albums/72157705116873992> which was a quest to hear community voices in seven regions of BC and resulted in capturing these voices from the first arrivals to the present day.

WHAT IS ‘HAQ AND HISTORY’?

The word ‘Haq’ (pronounced ‘huk’) in Punjabi, Urdu and Hindi means rights. The exhibit highlights and emphasizes the need for South Asian histories to be shared all across the province.

‘Haq and History’ is a single bilingual (English-Punjabi) travelling exhibit developed in partnership with the Royal BC Museum and the South Asian Studies Institute as part of the Punjabi Canadian Legacy Project. Its purpose is to add to the collection and preservation of South Asian Canadian histories across British Columbia.

The exhibit highlights the right for all Canadians to belong in this country’s history, heritage, historical remembrance, and contemporary moment. The panel exhibit is exclusively designed for your organization, schools, libraries, city hall, etc. The exhibit speaks to the themes that emerged from travelling across the province for two years to learn about the various settlements in BC and their desire to tell their history. The exhibit is organized to speak to any community in BC and we encourage all regions across BC to apply for this grant. This travelling exhibit grant aims to provides you an opportunity to create additional complimentary local content (panels) which will remain permanently as a legacy fixture in your community.

The full information package is attached and the online application form is available at: https://saclp.southasiancanadianheritage.ca/haq-and-history-form/. Any questions can be directed towards sasi at ufv.ca<mailto:sasi at ufv.ca>.

Thank you so much.

Sincerely,

-sharn

Sharanjit Kaur Sandhra, PhD
Coordinator
South Asian Studies Institute, UFV
33844 King Road
Abbotsford, BC V2S 7M8
Sharanjit.sandhra at ufv.ca<mailto:Sharanjit.sandhra at ufv.ca>
(604) 851-6325
The University of the Fraser Valley is located on the traditional territory of the Halq'eméylem-speaking Stó:lō peoples.
We express our gratitude and respect for the honour of living and working in S’olh Temexw (Our Land; Our World).
[cid:image001.jpg at 01D89C39.FED01BB0]