[BCMA] Help identifying Chinese Drum.

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Wed Jan 12 16:44:16 PST 2022

Hello all,
I have consulted MOA Curator Emerita Dr. Elizabeth Johnson regarding this drum as she is an expert in this area.  Here is her response:

It's a Cantonese opera drum, an early one like those in our collection-- probably from the 1920s, maybe earlier.  There are a number of them in MOA's collection:  1704/6, N1.828, N1.829, N1.830, 2668/5, Edz1662.  I think there's at least one more like Edz1662,  but it didn't come up in my search.  In fact, I had more trouble with my search than usual-- maybe the system has changed, or maybe I'm just out of practice or..... I can't remember what they are called in Cantonese- possibly loh (pronounced law).  I do remember Wong Toa saying that these were very challenging to play. as they had to be hit just so.  They were later replaced by the woodblocks that are used today.