[BCMA] Guest Curators

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Thu Jan 6 12:01:34 PST 2022

Hi Brittany,

I occasionally work as a guest curator, and I can say that payments run a
range depending on the organization and the amount of work done. Sometimes
museums want the curator to handle all the contracts and administration
(such as coding receipts, grant writing, etc) and sometimes organizations
just ask you to research, write text panels, select work, and community
outreach.

Most likely I will get a lump honorium that is divided into three payments
(one at the very beginning, one at the 50 percent completed mark, and one
at the end), other times I get a monthly honorarium, or very occasionally
get per hour. These run from $5,000 to $20,000 per exhibition, $500 to
$2,500 per month, or $30 to $100 an hour. I would suggest that you figure
out the amount of hours that you think the curator will need, and the
negotiation with them.

As a guest curator, I personally look at the organization's budget, and
offer sliding scales. I do this because I also work for an art museum, so I
understand the reality of a budget. However, because most independent
curators, this is their only livelihood, hence why the budget can be so
high.

Let me know if you have any specific questions,

Regan Shrumm

--
Pronouns - She/Her/They/Them

I acknowledge that I am an uninvited guest on the traditional and unceded
territory of the Lkwungen-speaking peoples.