[BCMA] DUE MARCH 18: Interpretation Canada Call for Proposals - Storytelling, Halifax October 2022

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Mon Feb 28 13:13:00 PST 2022

Hello Interpretation colleagues - apologies for cross-posting. We wanted to
ensure you had received the CFP for the upcoming Interpretation Canada
National Conference on Storytelling, to be held in Halifax Oct 3-7, 2022.
The selection committee looks forward to reviewing your proposals. Please
circulate widely - DEADLINE MARCH 18

[image: Photo Credit: Ship to Shore Photography, copyright Parks Canada]

IC National Conference 2022 (Halifax)  Call for Proposals  Storytelling:
Making People Care Since...Forever

It’s difficult (if not impossible) to separate the human experience from
storytelling. We seem to have a fundamental need to connect with each other
and ourselves through the sharing of stories. They are the tool we use to
make sense of our lives, experiences, events in history and the world
around us. Stories, like interpretation itself, help us make meaning of the
world.

Interpretation Canada’s 2022 National Conference (Halifax) explores the
connection between interpretation and storytelling through presentation and
discussions on this broad theme.

We are looking for diverse and dynamic presenters to help us explore the
topic, offer case studies, share research findings, or challenge us to
experience new ways of perceiving the science and art of storytelling. *Find
out more and submit here
<https://interpretationcanada.ca/EmailTracker/LinkTracker.ashx?linkAndRecipientCode=IE7C0BeQWQYFRcwpoAPfiyEwp4v%2fftvjaGj3YQ%2bEhNsYWi9WglivM9xF2%2by4Gml6U3ykhsk8e8rVHSPtT%2fZ0XPWtIZ6SbyCNlzcrpqTS6%2fE%3d>.*

Suggested session formats:

RAPID FIRE: an inspiring, provocative, and energizing showcase of your work
or idea. 5 minutes, timed.

EXPLORATION: a 20 minute exploration of your topic, followed by 10 minutes
for discussion.

PANEL: a wide-ranging, hosted discussion of an idea or case study with 2 or
more presenters (plus a panel host) each bringing different perspectives.
60 including audience questions

WORKSHOP: an interactive deep dive into your topic. 60 minutes.

We encourage you to network with your colleagues on the Interpretation
Canada member forums
<https://interpretationcanada.ca/EmailTracker/LinkTracker.ashx?linkAndRecipientCode=jVhrvq%2bPyo8zelfB5cWM7IxqkIdLtpQ6vOgI08GJ6P1k1jkXfBfNBFJfw1V70d4R%2fg3V0CLjyWrkJFEmkHQqVCyOjqA%2bJbBeGXyxacS2VDE%3d>
 and in our members Facebook
<https://interpretationcanada.ca/EmailTracker/LinkTracker.ashx?linkAndRecipientCode=xMY%2bzILWidkdYtPGBba46kG3YMc3h8JcrZ%2flSOF%2boM8uVLWF3tkQIJotYjTT6YBY%2fbmyCl0e%2b4nlX8LEo4UqKlbPTNL4boyGni3dzPPLya4%3d>
 group to collaborate on panel sessions.

Suggested theme areas:

BIG IDEAS IN STORYTELLING

   -

   The importance of storytelling in human societies past and present
   -

   The role of truth (and untruth) in storytelling
   -

   Who ‘owns’ a story and who has ‘rights’ to tell it?
   -

   How to build empathy through storytelling?
   -

   Your Big Idea?

WHAT’S IN A STORY?

   -

   Digital storytelling (online tours, Social media, virtual/augmented
   reality, etc)
   -

   Structure, tactics, tools and technique  (What makes a good story? What
   makes a good storyteller? How best to use ‘stuff’ (props, presentations,
   artifacts) to enhance a story.
   -

   Do you have Tools and Techniques to talk about?

GAZE INTO THE CRYSTAL BALL: WHAT’S NEXT?

   -

   Artificial Intelligence and robot interpreters?
   -

   How can we have a transformative experience without leaving home? (how
   do we stimulate taste, touch, sound…?)
   -

   Telling stories in turbulent times — does it need to be different?
   -

   Do we need stories anymore? (Will compelling storytelling still be
   central to interpretation?)
   -

   What’s your prediction?

We encourage submissions from those who have not previously presented at an
Interpretation Canada conference as well as from those who have previously
shared their ideas. We would appreciate your help adding missing voices to
the discussion.

*Deadline: March 18, 2022*

*Find more information and submit here

Have questions? Send us a message at conference at interpretationcanada.ca

Interpretation Canada Blog
<https://interpretationcanada.ca/EmailTracker/LinkTracker.ashx?linkAndRecipientCode=K5486%2bjPk%2f%2bUw%2fURC%2bW%2fqfWn6JORySFaUWkjmCfiX4G174ukeq7zGh1jfVt1R8cPdFIR0uXmJbVKZBNJ1YlNjHHgn86X9lnMT3X%2bH%2f0tUjs%3d>

Visit the Interpretation Canada Blog to stay up to date on what's happening
in the field of interpretation
Interpretation Canada Job Board
<https://interpretationcanada.ca/EmailTracker/LinkTracker.ashx?linkAndRecipientCode=kKopiEhlC8BXJFppbOytPrLhs49eCLdra8cAOgnsfVAzKWjc%2fm9nBvtZdN144ix4ouJ4VuZo%2fflSlujUQ0%2fOg6YAe%2bZ8r5qDz1fvXqXMCDY%3d>

See what interpretation jobs are open across the country

Interpretation Canada Awards
<https://interpretationcanada.ca/EmailTracker/LinkTracker.ashx?linkAndRecipientCode=bFVwRjQpEwgirFT%2bk2AFWN8bk38VKbVUiwyxZzev8PAIdDudDN7SsG4Y88yy7zSAVWNAcS%2bSj7Iyw26J4ENvBSLDcen045BM23U7QbUMud8%3d>
Get inspired! Check out videos from previous Interpretation Canada Award
winners
Join us on social media
<https://interpretationcanada.ca/EmailTracker/LinkTracker.ashx?linkAndRecipientCode=xMY%2bzILWidkdYtPGBba46kG3YMc3h8JcrZ%2flSOF%2boM8uVLWF3tkQIJotYjTT6YBY%2fbmyCl0e%2b4nlX8LEo4UqKlbPTNL4boyGni3dzPPLya4%3d>

Join on social media to follow Interpretation Canada's work and hear what
other interpreters are up to

This email was sent to a member of Interpretation Canada
www.interpretationcanada.ca
<https://interpretationcanada.ca/EmailTracker/LinkTracker.ashx?linkAndRecipientCode=DqsHju1GyLNomc4brObAsbaSoSn4SReLiNvUmgOISVXJ%2fOMsM5mcuxlrnpHBy7PDy%2b1N8LSyGGD12w%2b9RpnFIHxwgO9oUPQ3BGLDRaPDHLY%3d>
Kerry Wood Nature Centre, 6300 45th Avenue, Red Deer, Alberta T4N 3M4.
Reply to: info at interpretationcanada.ca

Munju Ravindra
*Interpretation Canada*
Conference Committee Chair