[BCMA] 2022 Provincial Budget Highlights for the Arts, Culture, and Heritage Sector

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Wed Feb 23 11:45:27 PST 2022

*On February 22, the Province of BC announced its 2022 budget. The BCMA
encourages members to visit the Budget 2022 web portal
<https://www.bcbudget.gov.bc.ca/2022/> to learn more about the overarching
vision, goals and priority actions for the Province of British Columbia. *

We have also read through the announcement and budget documents to
highlight key elements that impact BC’s arts, culture, and heritage sector.

Budget Highlights:

   -

   The Ministry of Tourism, Arts, Culture, and Sport budget is increasing
   from $171 million in 2021/22 to $173 million in 2022/23.

   -

   In the pandemic recovery section
   <https://www.bcbudget.gov.bc.ca/2022/pdf/2022_Backgrounder_3_Economic.pdf>,
   support for arts and culture organizations is alluded to with the
   statement, “Additional funding is also being provided this year to
   support non-profit organizations affected by the pandemic; the recovery of
   the arts, culture and music sectors through the Arts Impacts and Amplify BC
   programs; and additional tourism supports including funding to support the
   safe restart of fairs, festivals and events.”

   -

   The budget references
   <https://www.bcbudget.gov.bc.ca/2022/pdf/2022_Budget_and_Fiscal_Plan.pdf>
   new funding for repatriation on page 8, “Funding is provided in 2021/22
   to support Indigenous communities and First Nations to repatriate cultural
   belongings from museums and institutions, both in B.C. and globally.” No
   details about this funding have been announced, but the BCMA will share
   updates with members as they become known.

   -

   The budget <https://www.bcbudget.gov.bc.ca/2022/pdf/2022_Estimates.pdf>
   maintains the Province’s funding commitment for the Royal BC Museum’s new
   Collections and Research Building, stating that construction will begin in
   2022 with an anticipated completion date in 2025. Operating funding for the
   Royal BC Museum in 2022/23 is being maintained at 2021/22 levels.

Overall, the 2022 budget largely maintains the status quo for the arts,
culture, and heritage sector in BC. The BCMA is keenly aware that the
status quo isn’t sustainable. We believe in the transformational power of
museums, and we will continue to work with sectoral partners to advocate
for our collective social, educational, and economic impact.

*Ryan Hunt*
Executive Director
Pronouns: He/him To learn why pronouns are important, click here
<https://equity.ubc.ca/resources/gender-diversity/pronouns/>

Direct: 250-884-0499 || Office: 250-356-5700  || www.museum.bc.ca

*Roundup* submissions are now open online! We now offer compensation to
contributors and are looking for articles about how you and your
institution are maintaining momentum! Find more details on our website
<https://museum.bc.ca/roundup-magazine-submissions/>.