[BCMA] Collections Policy Questions

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Thu Apr 21 11:04:54 PDT 2022

Hi there,

Our museum is currently reviewing our collections policy and we have run
into some areas where some extra input/examples may help:

1.	Regarding deaccessioning, what have you done when the items you put
up for transfer to other institutions do not get accounted for? I know most
of the time objects should stay in the public sphere, but when that's not
possible, what do you do? As well, how have you managed the optics regarding
disposal of objects and deaccessioning in general?
2.	Regarding human remains;  how have you worded your human remains
clause?
3.	Regarding repatriation; how have you worded your repatriation
statement?
4.	Lastly, do you have a specific clause in your policy allowing for
time restrictions to be applied on certain donations regarding accessing
certain archival material that may contain sensitive information?

Any suggestions, answers or resources would be very helpful!

Thank you in advance,

Emma Wilton (she/her)

Collections and Exhibits Manager

Sooke Region Museum and Visitor Centre