[BCMA] [MEDIA RELEASE] Local students celebrate individuality in art exhibition

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Wed Apr 20 12:03:34 PDT 2022

For Immediate Release

Local students celebrate what makes them unique in art exhibition

Art in Action: u*nique

April 16 to September 11, 2022

April 20, 2022 - Kelowna, BC: Young artists from throughout the Central Okanagan have their work on view in the 36th annual Art in Action student exhibition at the Kelowna Art Gallery.

Art in Action: u*nique presents 123 imaginative and gifted artistic expressions by local middle and high-school students, and the public is welcomed to judge the results for themselves.

"Art in Action is such a rewarding show to organize," says Victoria Verge, Education Coordinator at the Gallery. "Each year, I'm amazed by the quality and skills demonstrated in the artistic submissions. We feel it's important to give students a chance to share their unique voice in a professional gallery setting. It makes us happy to be able to be a part of that."

Visitors will see the theme "unique" reflected in a diverse range of work by youth in a variety of media, including drawing, painting, sculpture, mixed media, printmaking, and photography.

Students were encouraged to examine the special qualities that make them stand out as individuals and to embrace their true selves. The theme was intended to emphasize the importance of knowing oneself and accepting and celebrating each of our differences as we grow and change with the world around us

The Kelowna Art Gallery would like to extend their appreciation to art educators Farah Canuel and Jim Elwood for their tireless commitment and dedication to realizing this exhibition each and every year.

Art in Action: u*nique can be seen in The Front project space of the Kelowna Art Gallery until September 11, 2022. It is free and open to the public to view.

The Kelowna Art Gallery is located at 1315 Water Street in downtown Kelowna, B.C. More information can be found at www.kelownaartgallery.com.

         - 30 -

[Image Credits]

Caeley-June, My Record Collection, 2022, acrylic on vintage record. Grade 12, Mount Boucherie Secondary School, S. Emmond.

Pia, Pride, 2022, photograph. Grade 12, Rutland Secondary School, B. Ennig/J. Rempel

Emily, Lingering, 2022, acrylic on canvas. Grade 11, Okanagan Mission Secondary School, F. Canuel

[Resources]

Webpage: https://kelownaartgallery.com/u-nique/

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kelownaartgallery/

To arrange for an interview, or for additional high-res images please contact:

Joshua Desnoyers

Marketing and Events Coordinator

Kelowna Art Gallery

1315 Water Street, Kelowna, BC V1Y 9R3